Radiance of the Seas - need input for Skagway excursions

colorado_cruiser

Hi everyone. I just posted one for the Juneau excursions and now I am looking for input on the Skagway excursions. I forgot to mention on my first ever cc post that I'm a newbie to cruising and this will actually be a family cruise - my family, dh's parents, dh's sibs and their partners, and sib's dh's mom. It's going to be a large group!!!

Anyway... my reason for posting this one! Please provide any and all input for the following excursions that I'm considering. I wish I can do them all but I have to pick only one or two. :( If you've been on one that's not on my list, please suggest it to me anyway and tell my why you like it. Kewl? Thanks everyone!

• Experience the Yukon
  • To the Summit!
  • Horseback Riding Adventure
  • Yukon Expedition and White Pass Scenic Railway
  • Skagway Extravaganza

Looking forward to reading your replies!!!

Hello

If you are into hiking? I hear the Yukon Hiking Adventure is worth the hike!

Great views and a really nice trail lunch. It is along the world's longest spanning Tramway and it is the oldest standing.Along with history, wildlife and wildflowers, which the guide will talk about as you come across. It is not hard and will give you a great look at the Yukon and the history the first miners left behind and alittle bit about local Aboriginal uses of plants.

The main guide built the trail by hand and has restored the old trail also, it was first built in 1905 for the silver mines of Conrad City (silver rush).

Other than that rent a car and drive the South Klondike Highway, You'll not be sorry you did.

Wayne

We sailed Radiance on 6/12...fabulous trip!

My daughter and I went on the Yukon Horseback riding trip booked

through Southeast Tours

http://www.southeasttours.com/03_skagway_yukon_horseback.html

The ride out to the stable was gorgeous...Nigil, our driver, was knowlegable and gave us many highlaights along the way. He also stopped for photo ops.

The horseback riding took us to spectacular vistas. Joni, the riding guide makes you feel like an old friend. I would highly recommend this trip, even for inexperienced riders. The trip took most of the day, but we took advantage of the time before meeting the tour bus to go shopping in Skagway. Its a small town, not much to do there...but some kind of tour is a must do....worth seeing the surrounding countryside... We were exhilarated, but exhausted upon returning to Skagway. The only caveat is a sore butt after the horseback ride...but thats what the ship's hot tub is for!

My son took the Rock Climbing and Rapelling trip booked through the ship. He is 20 years old. He said there were some younger children (I think minimum age is 8?), but all were treated with patience and support. He had a great time too.

Thank you Yukoner and rshillman for the suggestions! After much research (reading through posts on this board), my husband, son, and parents-in-law will be renting a car and take the drive and follow the guide provided by Murray. I'm so excited!!! The horseback riding sounds really wonderful, but since we'll be travelling with a year old toddler, I really don't want to have to leave him behind with a babysitter anymore than we have to. I guess I'll just have to go horseback riding out here in Colorado before we move back to California. ;) And also take advantage of the hiking trails here since we won't be hiking in Skagway either.

Since we'll do the drive, I'll make sure to remember to stop by and say hi to you, Yukoner. :) Something about your cabin having a red door, right? I need to look through the posts to find out exactly where you are. :)

--Vanessa

Archived