need one more excursion idea

nancyv58

What are you doing your first day on Maui? That would help to determine what you should do on the second day!

I would do a snorkeling excursion to Molokini Crater if I were you, but you may be doing that already! There is also the Maui Ocean Center, Iao Valley, Lahaina, road to Hana, the BEACH, Haleakala Crater, and much more!

KML

I would recommend snorkeling. I dont' know where the peir is but there is a great spot at Black Rock (at the Sheridan in Kannapali). It is beautiful. If you could get a cab there you can just rent the equipment from the Sheridan and the snorkeling is amazing!

nancyv58: As you will dock at Kahului, it is definitely best to have a rental car. Are you renting and doing the road to Hana drive yourselves? That's best, IMO.

For your second day, I recommend one of two things (assuming you are beach fans). One, take a snorkel excursion (look into one to Molokini or, if you're into that sort of thing, an all day one around Lanai). Alternatively, go to some of the beaches to snorkel and swim on your own. That's very doable on Maui, and there are several excellent spots.

Snorkel excursions and the best beaches for snorkeling (such as Black Rock on Ka'anapali)/swimming/lounging are all on the west and south-west. It's a good 45 to Lahaina and then about 25 minutes further north to get to Honolua marine preserve. It's the furthest north place for snorkeling, has no facilities, and is a hike down, BUT it's absolutely wonderful snorkeling when the conditions are good. Some of our other on-your-own favorites: Slaughterhouse beach, which is the next cove south from Honolua and is also part of the preserve (also no facilities); Napili is okay snorkeling and a really nice beach; Kapalua ditto to Napili, best snorkeling is on the north, easiest is on the south; Airport beach--love this one, good facilities, easy entry, easy to get to, just wonderful all around; Ka'anapali at Black Rock, easy entry, good snorkel, lots to do along the whole beach (the beach fronts several resorts and has Whaler's Village for shopping/eating/parking).

If you're not beach fans, try a drive upcountry to Kula and beyond. It's beautiful and a completely different climate. You could also go to Iao Needle/Valley, which is close to the port and really quite lovely, IMO.

Ju1es: From Kahulu to Ka'anapali is at least a 45 minute taxi ride--far too much $$, IMO; I'm going to guess well over $100 r/t. It's much better to have a rental car. For ships that tender at Lahaina, a taxi to Ka'anapali is certainly a good option, as is the shuttle bus. Also as an FYI, the Sheraton doesn't always rent their equipment to non-guests. I believe that NCLA has an arrangement with them for their cruise pax who take the beach excursion. Other than that, it's quite hit-or-miss because the resorts, rightly, usually reserve their beach and water equipment for resort guests who have already paid for the privilege. Sometimes (esp during "off" days) they will definitely rent to non-guests, but it's not a sure thing by any means.

beachchick

Frankly, I would nip in to your local library (or booksotre) and check out the Hawai'i Revealed series and choose from that. There are far too many options for either Maui or Oahu and this would give you a chance to discuss them with your traveling companions.

Charlie

Archived