sailing party?

wilber1

I remember the first cruise my sister (my much older sister) went on....we went to the ship and were able to board and walk around the ship, see her cabin, then the whistle blew and we went back to the dock to watch the ship pull away amid a sea of streamers. Hadn't thought about that for years. Is that even done anymore?

This wasn't even the case when we sailed prior to 9/11. Guess they didn't want any stowaways. Sometimes groups get togeher and have castaway parties, but for the most part, you just leave if you're at your home port. When sailing from ports of call, they will frequently have local talent serenading you off. When we were in New Zealand, there always seemed to be a piper playing "Amazing Grace" as we sailed away - sort of disquieting actually...

Charlie

Often in San Francisco, there is either a steam calliope or a Dixieland Jazz Band on the pier playing as the ship backs into the channel.

Be sure to be out on deck, so you can hear the ship's whistle (horn) give three mightly blasts to indicate she is backing.

If you are lucky, the ship will give another long blast as she sails under the Golden Gate Bridge, in salute to pedestrians on the bridge waving Bon Voyage.

That ship's whistle (horn) always brings a tear to my eye, and makes the hair on the back of my neck standujp!

• 2 weeks later...

I have also never seen a sail away party. Maybe one or two people with streamers, but not the entire ship. Usually the only crew I see are the photographers taking everybodies picture. It is always fun to leave port; especially Miami and Ft. Lauderdale when so many leave at one time.

cruisealot

Try bubble sif you want to celebrate sail-a-way. Enviornmentally friendly and they pop before they even hit the side of the ship. :)

I have a bubble gun.. and attract some kids at my own sail away party... from the time I book I start stocking up on those little bottles (the kind for weddings) and give themout to the kids so they can add to my bubbles.

When the ship leaves port do they do anything in regades to a sailing party on the ship:confused:

wilber

Hi there,

in fort lauderdale they (condoowners) give u a nice farewell,then live music at the pool.

watch my video if u have a decent dsl connetion,gives u an impression.

http://www.anna-klaus.net/assets/multimedia/sailAway.wmv

so long

Princess doesn't do a sailaway deck party? Whhhaaat? I thought I read that they do one in Patters. :confused: I like the drinks, music and dancing. :D Nothing like watching ship push off and sound it's horn. Aaaaahhhh! Just gets me in the festive cruisin' mood.

Disney staff members had some confetti/streamer shooter device thingies that shoots up party material in the air over top the people participating in the deck sailaway party. Right there in the middle where they cover up the family pool. Not a whole lot, but a very cool effect. Cleaned up real quick if I remember correctly. Nothing went into the ocean either.

We did the DISNEY MAGIC they have a sailaway party over the family pool(stage covers the pool) and whenever the ship leaves a dock the horn blast out the first few notes from when you wish upon a star.....also on the weds nite while still docked in cozumel they had the pirate show colete w/Jack Sparrow swinging down upon the deck.Then a full carribean buffet dinner and ohhhh the desserts(sorry was spoiled on my 1st cruise)STAR 4/07 will be my 2nd cant wait.....oh cruising I'm hooked:cool::):Dgot anothewr balcony on caribe

When we were on the Diamond sailing out of Seattle there was a huge sailaway party with champagne, a nice band and lots and lots of people participating. It was great fun even though we were all very chilly. There were also lots of photographers walking around taking photos that you could purchase later. It is a great memory that I will always cherish.

When we were on the Diamond sailing out of Seattle there was a huge sailaway party with champagne, a nice band and lots and lots of people participating. It was great fun even though we were all very chilly. There were also lots of photographers walking around taking photos that you could purchase later. It is a great memory that I will always cherish.

That sounds great. Let's see, I need to dress in warmer clothes, I like the idea of bubbles so that means a bubble gun (one hand operation) so I can hold my champagne in the other. Oh, and don't let DH know about the bubble gun because he would certainly ditch it. All this takes place at the pool......which one? We are on Sun Princess. Is the Patter with all the sailaway activities in the stateroom already or do they hand them to you as you come on board?

Hi there,

in fort lauderdale they (condoowners) give u a nice farewell,then live music at the pool.

watch my video if u have a decent dsl connetion,gives u an impression.

http://www.anna-klaus.net/assets/multimedia/sailAway.wmv

so long

LOVED your video. Brought back such memories.....(sigh)..........Thanks so much for sharing!!!

LOVED your video. Brought back such memories.....(sigh)..........Thanks so much for sharing!!!

@vawoods,

u're more than welcome.it's a work in progress if u go on our website there more vids like maui ocean center sharks,"when cruisers go wild" and more follow,did this actually for my family over in germany.

happy cruisin'

In fort lauderdale they (condoowners) give u a nice farewell,then live music at the pool.

Thank you. This brought back fond memories. I love the toots, hollers and horns. :)

Archived