anyone been on the Queen Mary 2?

miktams

Also do you get credit for "past guest" with any of the other carnival lines?

Depends on what you mean by credit for "past guest". Whilst you may be able to aquire a past guest discount purchasing the cruise, you will not be eligible for any "past guest" perks or frequent cruiser credits.

We sailed on the QM2 this past January. As far as I know, there's no "credit" toward your number of cruises with Carnival. We got a great price, but I doubt it had anything to do with having been on Carnival in the past.

Bear in mind that the QM2 is an ocean liner, not a cruise ship. It is by no means a "fun" ship. Cunard is truly a legend in its own mind. Don't get me wrong. The QM2 is a truly magnificent ship. But there's not an umbrella for your frozen drink to be found. Very stuffy and very dressy. Don't miss tea in the Queens Room.

We were on the QM2 twice (January 2005 and 2006) and these were our only two cruises thus far. We will be on the Victory 7/29 and did not get a past cruiser discount for past Cunard cruises. I don't know if Cunard gives credit for Carnival though. I think maybe it depends on the sailing.

Anyway, I do agree that Cunard is a "legend in its own mind". We had a wonderful time but had nothing to compare it to. Any more comparisons (besides the umbrella drink :) ) ??

Since you ask, I felt the QM2 was the last vestige of the British Empire. It was reflected in the passengers as well as the crew. The passengers were multi-national with a goodly number of Brits(about 600 I think). They really like dress up. Tuxedos are for headwaiters, but tails--now that's something. The ladies' hats were something out of the Ascot races scene in My Fair Lady. Nothing like that on Carnival(or for that matter, any mainstream line).

The crew was, if you will, deferential, while maintaining enough distance to keep dignity. Very well done.

The ship itself sailed beautifully--rock steady in high winds, no palpable feeling of movement. The QM2 was obviously constructed for heavy seas as regularly scheduled transatlantic crossings require.

The biggest difference wasn't the umbrella drinks; it was the ambiance. I personally prefer the "high school pep rally" style of Carnival for my vacation. But if I had to cross an ocean in anything other than perfect weather, I'd opt for the QM2--plus they let you keep any liquor you buy ashore in your stateroom without waiting for debarkation.

I know this does not answer your question but I just wonted to say, She is a beautiful ship. Never sailed her but she was in Charleston , SC., about 2 weeks ago and the news made such a fuss about her. I had to go to see her. I'm glad I did, sence I will never get to sail her .(To rich for my blood) I will stick with Carnival! DEB

We sailed the QM2 last March. We've also sailed Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, HAL and RCCL. We've enjoyed all our cruises and all the cruise lines but went in knowing that each would be a different experience.

I agree with the prior poster. The QM2 is definitely an Ocean Liner and brings to mind bygone days of sea travel.

We found the cabins spacious (robes and slippers included) the food very good. High tea was quite a treat. And the ship is really gorgeous.

It is very dressy, but if you have a chance to sail her, I would say go for it as it truly is a one of a kind experience.

Hi Goldmom and others:

Thanks for posting about how the QM2 was different from your other experiences. As I said, we cruised (Carribbean) on the QM2 x2 and have had no other experiences.

The QM2 is a beautiful ship; no doubt about it!! I was just curious about the perception (on other boards and on the Cunard board by those who have not been on the QM2) that it is such a VASTLY different experience from other cruise lines.

We did have a wonderful time and would go again in an instant (given the time and money of course :) ) but I found many of the same things on the QM2 that others are critical about on all the boards. That is, long shopping lectures, rushed service at times, cold buffet food etc etc. The shows were the same both times and the orchestra was really not that great. Some of the lectures at sea were great and others were terrible. The first time the cruise director was great and the second time (same person) was no where to be found. STill I had the time of my life and did not even think to complain about any of the above at all until I started reading the cruise critic boards.

Interestingly, the cunard board is quite pro-cunard but it seems that most posters have not been on the QM2 as of yet. Perhaps because it is one ship as opposed to the other lines with many?

I guess I will wait and see how our cruise on the Victory is--the promise of cooler weather and no travel to port is enough to make me a happy cruiser already.

Archived