Pride of Hawaii-5/23-6/3 Review

Who can complain about a new ship? I'm not a complainer anyway so here goes. My daughter and I booked this particular cruise because it had more sea time, the transit from San Fran to Hawaii.

We had a nice AE cabin aft and enjoyed the views. I wouldn't say it was all that, had a larger balcony cabin on QE2 but comparably not much smaller. The butler and room service was slow but we aren't demanding so called for things with ample time, otherwise we sought out solutions on our own.

The ship was great, large and for this particular cruise only about 1/2 full which was great...I couldn't imagine it full of crowds. It was hard enough to get reservations at some of the restaurants, which we sampled all but the Italian place...thats about as run of the mill as you get, who doesn't have an Italian place nearby. At any rate, Le Bistro, the Asian Place (forget proper name), Teppanyaki (japanese grill) and the Spanish place were the best. I don't understand the hoopla over Cagney's, eh you can get beef anywhere, then again I'm one of those that likes it but if something else is offered I go for something else. I never get real gagga over good beef, been there done that.

The staff was ok, mostly accomodating when they could and lacking at times but overall good service.

We really didn't enjoy the stops in Hawaii, been there before a few times, because we had to the ship stopped, we got off and rented car. Truly I think thats a horrible way to see a place with limited time, even though our stops were overnight. Our mission was to be at sea so when ship reached Hawaii and started to stop, yuk. I don't know why more cruiselines don't offer more sea time, stops not needed. If you really want to see a place fly there and spend a week or two, otherwise why bother. Who want thats nonsense of disembarking, etc.

Norwegian not quite the clientele of Cunard, watching idiot shows by the pool with resident contestants while entertaining on the TV watching people make fools of themselves.

Again I hope more cruiselines offer more sea time, thats why we cruise. Our maid said she hated it while we were out 1000 miles from San Fran or Hawaii, in middle of nowhere...we said thats why we're here and then wondered why do you work on a cruiseship????

Enjoy your travels.

Good evening Travelbug8763,

I have a cruise booked on the Pride of Hawaii July 31. This will be my first with NCL. I too have travelled with Cunard in the past (QM2). Could you please tell me how the two compare? Food? Service?

Thank you very much

David

David,

You'll do fine, in fact the food on POH is excellent if you stick to the specialty restaurants. The food in the main dinning room was not bad, actually they do a pretty good breakfast but for dinner it was ok, good but not spectacular.

Le Bistro one of our favorites, escargots fork tender. Definitely spend time getting reservations in the specialty restaurants.. make good friends with your concierge early, Eric was ours and was a bit lacking until I tipped him $100. You must avoid the buffet on deck 12, its terrible the people just milling around not paying attention, like trough feeding, its awful. My daughter and I did it only in desperate situations, quickly....a horrible experience a buffet. If you must, learn times when its not so busy....a port morning is one or late morning or any weird hour.

David I have not experienced QM2 yet, that is my next journey. I have traveled on QE2 Queens Grill class which absolutely was top notch. If I were to compare Queens Grill QE2 to Norwegian it is close but not there. I had escargots and vicysshoise placed on menu so they say!

You will not find Queen's grill class on Norwegian, thought food is excellent to outstanding is my final review.

Travelbug,

glad you found Cruise Critic after your cruise!

Thanks for the review and for answering questions :) .

There is also a separate area on the Cruise Critic website for ship reviews, if you want to post yours there (see the uppermost blue bar). It's easier for people to find them there, as they don't move off the first page as fast as they do on the boards;) .

It is nice having them here, too, so that we can ask questions and talk about them and have lively exchanges and all :D .

Thank you so much for your prompt reply,

I am very pleased to hear what you had to say. I was half expecting the two cruise lines to be worlds apart. If you are saying that Queens Grill and the POH are even remotely close I am elated. I was merely steerage on the QM2 and was treated as though I were royalty. I cannot even imagine how the Queens Grill passengers were treated. You will have a phenomenal time on the QM2. As for myself I cannot wait to jump on the plane and head to Hawaii.

Have yourself a wonderful evening

David

David,

I meant only the food, and that being in the specialty restaurants came close to Cunard. But certainly not the service, not near par to Queens Grill, where experienced staff stands by to help you sneeze. Now granted the POH is new and staff new, many new recruits...patience is a must, that we had I'm just giving comment. I'm not sure even with a normally experienced staff on NCL it could match Cunard. I do like good service but am adaptable. For instance, on QE2 after about just a few hours onboard our butler knew what we liked and had our fridge packed with favorites and kept it packed, delivered ice each day, etc. On POH we had to call each day for same items, wouldn't you think after about 2-3 days they'd just do it automatically? In the restaurants there were alot of newbies and we understood that and were very patient, many broke our corks, we felt for them, didn't complain...just stayed patient and smiled. All in all we had a great time, its not like QE2 nor did we expect it to be....I'm just giving my comparison. Happy sailings on POH you won't be disappointed just have patience and tolerance.

Travelbug,

it took me a minute to figure out what you were referring to:confused: .

I looked at the thread and figured it out:D . No, I wasn't trying to correct any mis-posting!!! I just noticed that you might be new to Cruise Critic (by the post count) and thought I would mention the other section in case you wanted to post your review there, as well.

No hidden scolding, whatsoever and PLEASE do it again:D

It is great when people post reviews here, and normal and proper and all. Like I said, we can ask questions and discuss the review in this part of the website.

Sorry I gave you the wrong impression!!! I had to crack up about the police thing. ;)

David,

You'll do fine, in fact, the food on POH is excellent if you stick to the specialty restaurants. The food in the main dinning room was not bad, actually they do a pretty good breakfast but for dinner it was ok, good but not spectacular.

Le Bistro one of our favorites, escargots fork tender. Definitely spend time getting reservations in the specialty restaurants.. make good friends with your service help early, some service people don't anticipate certain people as good tippers and therefore give lacking service. You must avoid the buffet on deck 12, its too terrible the people just milling around not paying attention, like trough feeding, its awful. My daughter and I did it only in desperate situations, quickly....a horrible experience a buffet. If you must, learn times when its not so busy....a port morning is one or late morning or any weird hour.

David I have not experienced QM2 yet, that is my next journey. I have traveled on QE2 Queens Grill class which absolutely was top notch. If I were to compare Queens Grill QE2 to Norwegian it is close but not there. I had escargots and vicysshoise placed on menu so they say!

You will not find Queen's grill class on Norwegian, thought food is excellent to outstanding is my final review.

xxxxxxx

Zimmerjulie,

My many apologies, you absolutely were being as helpful as you always are.....now I've read your other posts! I apologize I'm used to other boards with those kind of issues. Glad to see none here and one can be free to post. Thanks again for your post and happy sailings!

Archived