hotels in London

Can anyone suggest a hotel in London? I have been searching and there seem to be so many, it's hard to narrow it down. We would preferably like a 4 star right in the city where it is easy to walk or travel to the major attractions. We are thinking of a three night stay before boarding the ship. I have heard the South Bank may be a good area.

Can anyone suggest a hotel in London? I have been searching and there seem to be so many, it's hard to narrow it down. We would preferably like a 4 star right in the city where it is easy to walk or travel to the major attractions. We are thinking of a three night stay before boarding the ship. I have heard the South Bank may be a good area.

I've been in London 3x in the past 4 years. While there are interesting things to see and do in the South Bank area, I wouldn't call it convenient for the subway system. It's a great walking area. We stayed 2x in the South Kensington area, because it was convenient to transit, but quieter than in the center of the main attractions. We stayed at a little hotel called The Gallery, a townhouse type hotel, but with an elevator and air conditioning (in some rooms). Another similar, and similarly priced hotel in the same area is called Number Sixteen. The exchange rate isn't as favorable now, and hotels in London are pretty expensive for what you get. We wanted the small hotel. Hopefully, someone else will be more helpful with centrally located and 4 star experience.

My DH and I have stayed at a hotel that we love for both location and functionality. It isn't the ritz but it is nice. It is called the Corus at Hyde Park and is convenient to EVERYTHING, the park is glorious to wake up to and a pub is next door, the underground is just a bit down the street. Our room was modern but small, it was big enough for us and we had a large suitcase at the time. It was very cozy, and I usually love the larger rooms. The restaurant serves good food and adequate breakfast. I hope this helps.

I have stayed in several hotels in London. The Landmark is lovely but is located in a quiet area, Marylebone (Sp). It is across the street from the underground but not near many buses. Swissotel The Howard is a nice, modern hotel and fairly well located near the underground and a short walk to a number of buses. Both hotels are a bit pricey. I always enjoy staying near Picadilly Circus for the location. I have stayed at the Picadilly Meridien but wouldn't really recommend it.

IMO, London hotels require a lot of research, money, and patience! I've been going there for about 30 years, and have stayed in the same one only twice. The same thing happens when I go to NYC--sticker shock! It seems hard to find a hotel with all the things you're looking for at an affordable price--you wind up making compromises on something (unless Her Majesty has invited you to stay at The Palace). The Tube is so handy that being really close to a station is usually high on my list and also close to the place where you'll get transportation to/from your airport or port. It is noisy in most parts of this great city, so having airconditioning means you can leave the windows closed (I usually go in the Fall, anyway). The Michelin Red Guide has really good maps to help you tell at a glance where you are in relation to both transportation and restaurants.

Researching different web-sites (try http://www.mobissimo.com) can give you an idea of price ranges and facilities. There is so much to see and do that you may find you won't be spending much time in the room, but it is a lot nicer if you do get lucky and find the "perfect" place!

I'll be there for two days at the end of July, so I'm searching to find a hotel now, too.

Have a great trip.

As has been suggested many times before, check www.tripadvisor.com for hotels in London; you will get honest reviews from real travellers (as long as you edit out the obvious oddballs).

My suggestion (a 3 star, though) is the Best Western Mostyn in Bryanston St, Marble Arch. 2 minutes from tube, 2 minutes from Oxford St, taxi rank opposite hotel. Ask for a rear room; London is noisy. Rooms are large (by London standards - just about all London hotels have small rooms compared with the US).

If you don't fancy this one, look for something central near a tube station; this gives you access to all the major attractions.

Enjoy your trip, Mary

Archived