Non-ship shore excursions

professor

A friend, planning her first cruise and assuming that I might know about such things, asked if it's possible to save money by booking shore excursions directly through local tour operators rather than through the ship's excursions department. I offered the standard warning about how ships will not delay their departure time because of missing passengers who booked their own tours, but said I would try to provide her with a couple useful references.

Her cruise is through the eastern Caribbean, and I'm hoping that some folks on this board may know of reliable tour companies (between Barbados and St. Thomas) that provide shore excursions of the same quality as the tours offered on shipboard. I have never dealt directly with private tour operators in the Caribbean, but assume there must be some good ones. I'm sure a web search would provide information, but of course the best recommendations come from people who have had personal experience with a tour operator.

Thanks for your thoughts!

A friend, planning her first cruise and assuming that I might know about such things, asked if it's possible to save money by booking shore excursions directly through local tour operators rather than through the ship's excursions department. I offered the standard warning about how ships will not delay their departure time because of missing passengers who booked their own tours, but said I would try to provide her with a couple useful references.

Her cruise is through the eastern Caribbean, and I'm hoping that some folks on this board may know of reliable tour companies (between Barbados and St. Thomas) that provide shore excursions of the same quality as the tours offered on shipboard. I have never dealt directly with private tour operators in the Caribbean, but assume there must be some good ones. I'm sure a web search would provide information, but of course the best recommendations come from people who have had personal experience with a tour operator.

Thanks for your thoughts!

well all I can tell you is our experience....it is cheaper (you have already stated the obvious about if your delayed) especially if there are say 4 -6 of you....you will find it cheaper or we have with our experiences......

Professor, this board is all about booking excursions. There is plenty of information already available. However, if you want some specific information you will need to provide more detail such as islands, dates, and interests. The variety of activities is not infinite but it makes no sense giving you the names of great scuba operators if you have no intention of scuba diving.

• 2 weeks later...

In Barbados ,I can highly recommend Silver Moon. The best escursion We were ever on. They take 12 people and some wonderful snokeling. Treat you like a king.Most of these tours are very familiar with the ships and make sure you are back on time. Always be carefull and plan ahead. Not only do you save money, you'll have a smaller group and more interesting day trip.It is no fun to enter the water with 100 people!

Archived