Internet onboard

firstcruise2006

Hi

Have just been reading my pre-cruise booklet (going on the Sapphire Princess to Alaska) and it says that laptops can not be connected into the ships internet. Is this true? So you need to use their PC's to connect - do people find that the internet cafe's are quite busy and that costs mount up?

Thanks

I haven't found the cafes to be too busy - I've never had to wait in line on any of the ships so far; I believe it is 35 cents a minutes, which is okay to check email occasionally, but I would not want to pay to surf. The connection is often slow which makes the price go even higher. For what it's worth, I was on Carnival last fall and the prices were twice as much as Princess.

Hi

Have just been reading my pre-cruise booklet (going on the Sapphire Princess to Alaska) and it says that laptops can not be connected into the ships internet. Is this true? So you need to use their PC's to connect - do people find that the internet cafe's are quite busy and that costs mount up?

Thanks

You can use your own wireless-ready laptop. The WiFi hot spot is in the atrium area. Same price as using the ship's computers, except that you buy a 30 minute block (using the ship's computers you pay by the minute).

Using your own laptop works well though, especially since you can log on, download email, then log off. Take your time reading and composing replies. Then log on, send email, and log off. A 30 minute block will go a long way when using your own laptop.

As an elite member can you use your "free internet" perk to hook up to the wireless? Or do you have to use Princess' computer in the internet cafe?
No. Platinum and Elite free internet perks include just the ship's computers in the internet cafe.

Do they charge the usage, then credit it out on a nightly basis or do it as one block at the end of cruise?
If you have free internet usage as either a Platinum or Elite member, or if you're in a full suite, your onboard account is charged for the usage every time you use the internet. It's credited back nightly.

As always, it's a good idea to check your onboard account every few days while on your cruise. I always get a print-out early the day before disembarkation and go over it carefully. That gives me enough time to raise any questions before the long lines form.

i found using a laptop to be more convienent. as you can log on. get what you need. log off. write a reply in Notepad or something. and log back on to send. This really made the minutes last. but note that some sites are blocked on the ships computers, which i do not find very fair as we are paying for it. Myspace being the main one we noticed. You're paying to use it.. you should get to go to what sites you need to to talk to friends back home. It is not blocked on wifi though..

I just got off the Sapphire. You no longer buy wireless access in blocks of time. You swipe your card, and choose wireless access and are given a username and password. For some bizarre reason, I was not charged for wireless access. I don't know why because I didn't ask.:D

I just got off the Sapphire. You no longer buy wireless access in blocks of time. You swipe your card, and choose wireless access and are given a username and password.

Swipe your card in what? They have card readers stationed around the atrium area? I'm guessing you're talking about using your own laptop in or near the ship's Internet cafe. If so, did they discontinure the WiFi hotspot in the atrium area?

Pamwill................please give us a review of the Sapphire. I noticed you said you just got off. I keep waiting to read an Alaskan review from this year on the Sapphire but the latest were from Mexican cruises earlier in the year.

Good food, ports, rooms?

Any insights??

If you have free internet usage as either a Platinum or Elite member, or if you're in a full suite, your onboard account is charged for the usage every time you use the internet. It's credited back nightly.

Hi Pam....

You probably don't know this, because I didn't either. On the Regal our friends had to buy internet time in blocks; I believe 30 minutes at a time. Anyhow, that's how they got their on line time. When this ran out they had to buy more. I don't recall how many blocks they could buy at once, but it was a huge pain. Of course they were credited with the entire amount at the end of the cruise, but having to go to the purser's desk to make internet transactions was not to their liking. Nor was the Regal. This is quite current; they were on for 30+ days in March/April. I'm guessing that to automate the system would be more costly than doing it this way, especially on a ship that was supposed to leave them two years ago.

Arlene

Hi Pam....

You probably don't know this, because I didn't either. On the Regal our friends had to buy internet time in blocks; I believe 30 minutes at a time. Anyhow, that's how they got their on line time. When this ran out they had to buy more. I don't recall how many blocks they could buy at once, but it was a huge pain. Of course they were credited with the entire amount at the end of the cruise, but having to go to the purser's desk to make internet transactions was not to their liking. Nor was the Regal. This is quite current; they were on for 30+ days in March/April. I'm guessing that to automate the system would be more costly than doing it this way, especially on a ship that was supposed to leave them two years ago.

Arlene

Arlene... I'm very surprised. The only time I've heard that you're required to purchase blocks of time on Princess ships is for the wireless internet service when you bring your own computer.

I'm not going to compare other ships to the Regal since I know she's different. We were on her a couple of years ago for 15 days and they had laptops in the Atrium for us to use. At the time, there was a sign-in sheet to use the laptops and that was used to charge the time. I know it's very different now with the Regal now having an internet room.

I'd love to hear from others who have been on the Regal recently who can comment on this.

Paul,

Instead of buying the 30 minute blocks like we did the previous time on the Sapphire, we went to the internet cafe. One of the options on the sign in screens is wireless access. You swipe your card and choose that option, then you are given a username/password which you use for wireless access the rest of the cruise. You only have to swipe the card that one time. The access points are the same as before...in the atrium or close to it and of course the internet cafe. I like this way better than buying the 30 minute blocks and I really liked it because they didn't charge me.

lThomas,

I sort of kept a running review of the cruise(s) while we were onboard. It's a little more personalized than your typical review...I call it a journal. If you have a lot of spare time on your hands, below is the link. We had a great time and the ship is beautiful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=356466

Archived