Question - Canyon Ranch Spa

gbc

I recently requested and received the brochure of services for the spa. Several places it states that the price of the services includes gratuities. I was wondering if most people provide an additional gratuity to the therapist. I would like to take advantage of some of the services and simply want to be prepared to "do the right thing".

Thank you for your time in responding.

I did not provide an additional tip. I think Americans are just so inundated with requests for tips that even when it is included we somehow feel we need to give more. Don't feel pressured to do so if you don't want to.

For me it has depended on the level of service I received. On my last crossing, I gave an extra tip for the pedicure I had. I felt that I was given service above and beyond-- extra attention, and time. On the other hand I did not give any extra to the stylist who did my hair.

I would encourage anyone who is going and wants a popular service to call the Canyon Ranch Spa in advance to make reservations. We found that many slots were already booked when we got there on the first day. 866*860*4662. If you are planning an updo on a certain night, this is a sure way to make sure you get ahead of the crowd.

As far as spa services - I highly, highly, highly (did I mention highly) recommend the signature hot stone massage. It is THE BEST massage I have ever had.

Cheers!

Just a note to those planning on booking a facial. It is one of the few procedures that carries with it the opportunity to buy products. And my last facial onboard in May was quite disappointing. The aesthetician added on masks (which I thought were included) and tried to sell me vibration equipment to deep-clean pores and an unbelievably expensive cream regimen. I didn't buy any add-ons, but the facial (which CR says does not include "extractions") did include extractions. The whole event was thoroughly unpleasant and cost nearly $200 with the "extras." -- and I think I have pretty healthy skin!! I should have spoken up, but didn't. Word to the wise: UNLESS YOU ARE INTERESTED IN MORE, MAKE IT CLEAR UP FRONT THAT YOU WANT A RELAXING FACIAL WITH NOTHING EXTRA. Other than this, I thought CR was expensive, but excellent.

My sense on the QM2 is that the individuals serving you don't get anything from the "included" tips so I tip accordingly.

I've had four massages at the CR Spaclub on QM2. One (from a masseur) was awful and thus I added only a 5% tip on top of the included 15%. I also had a particularly great massage from a masseuse and so added another 15% to the included tip. My feeling is: a total of 20% is the minimum total tip these days unless the service provider has offended you in some way so add at least 5% to your spa services.

Then again, I am an American and so used to tipping!

There is a receipt that you must sign. On the receipt it indicates the already included 15% in the sub total. There is a space provided for any additional tip you wish to include. The entire amount is billed to your cabin.

I did not give anyone the additional tip in cash, as my first experience with these receipts was ordering a soda in the Golden Lion Pub. I was given a receipt and signed it (it was $1.75) and I put a dollar in the receipt folder. The barmaid looked at me as if I had two heads.:eek:

Maria

Thank you for the replies. I requested the brochure on the canyon ranch web site. The brochure arrived in less than a week. The brochures that you may download on-line do not include the prices. I wanted an idea of the costs before I start booking. I am so pleased to hear that the hot stone massage was good. That is one of my favorite massages and I plan on booking that. I have 91 days to suffer through before my WB TA and I can't wait! Thanks again for your help.

To be honest, I decided to forego any of the things like pedicure, manicure, facial etc. because 1)there is a hard-sell on the facial stuff regardless of what the brochure says. 2)there wasn't anything in the pedi or mani that I had there that was any better than what I get at my regular salon for much less $$. I didn't think the pedicure area was all that impressive and it dawned on me that these things are in constant use esp. on crossings. I'm getting everything done this week and going to do other things on the boat.

I don't think they can legally withold the 15% gratuity that is included because it is represented to the consumer as such - to do so would be a deception to the consumer. The stylists might get taxed on the 15% but I don't think it can be withheld. I only tipped over and above one time and that was when my stylist duplicated an updo I found in a magazine - she did a wonderful job.

HTH!

Morrie

Archived