Anyone been on the Spirit to Mexico out of San Diego?

We cruised on the Spirit in April 2005. They have this cruise only one time a year. It is every April. It goes to Cabo, Matzatlan and La Paz. Of course we just love San Diego. What a breeze that port is. Out of all our 8 cruises The port of San Diego was the easiest. The Spirit is a great ship.

We had the extended balcony cabins. Lots more room then regular balcony.

Cabo was our favorite port until we went to La Paz. La Paz is a hidden gem. Not a tourist town. Very pretty. Matzatlan, if you go there you need to visit stone island. Very primitive. Family owned beach restaurants. Good food. Cheap beer. Great cruise.

Hey RVRGIRL, we did the same cruise as you. Was our 1st cruise and totally got hooked. Could have done without La Paz though. Suburban Drudgery, you have already done the Pride so I assume you are thinking about southern Mexico. We will be doing it in March. Just had some friends do it and they had a total blast. The excursions don’t seem to be as diverse as on the Pride but there is still plenty to do. Have done the Miracle, Spirit, and Pride. The Miracle was by far our favorite in regards to just having a great time. But when it comes to the Spirit, we were treated so well by the staff that the other two ships are a distant 2nd and 3rd. Again that is just our opinion. When it comes to flying in and getting to the port you can’t beat San Diego. Less than a mile. One thing for sure, you will have a great time.:D

Hello I have taken 2 trips on the Spirit out of San Diego and 1 upcoming at Thanksgiving. We went on an 8 night cruise. We went to Acapulco Zihuatanejo and Manzanillo. We had a catagory 11 suite which is well worth the money. The ship is beautiful. The staff are friendly. The ports are nice. There is so much to do it takes you all day just to decide what to do first. I hope this helps you.

We did the 8 night Acapulco Zihuatanejo and Manzanillo, had a great cruise.

The Spirit is now one of my favorite ships.....and I think it's been in dry dock since we were on her....

The ports were interesting and fun, the ship was great.

San Diego is a great port, worth spending a couple of days there if you have the time.

My DH and I just booked the Spirit for the 12/9/06 8-night cruise to southern Mexico. We have never been on a Spirit Class ship, so are looking forward to it. We are cruising with my son, his wife and our grandchildren, ages 4 and 7. This will be our first time cruising with kids. Hopefully, the Spirit has a terrific Camp Carnival program. We have been to these ports twice already with other cruise lines, and I know we will have a great time with Carnival. True, Mexico isn't the Caribbean, but we won't have airfare and the ship is our main vacation destination. I am happy to read that most posters who have been on the Spirit have come away with fond memories...... that's a good sign. Although we have cruised with three other lines, we always seem to come back to Carnival; they have been our favorite cruises.

Our cruising motto is: Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy every moment whether it be joining activities or morning coffee on your balcony.

Peggy

I LOVED the Spirit. It is my favorite ship. However, I am a southern girl, and it was too cold for me! We went in April of 2005, and I froze to death in San Diego and on the way to Mexico. Once in the ports, it was great, but the water was freezing!!!! Cabo was one of the cleanest cities I have been in, and once we found the right shops in La Paz, I loved it. Dont pay attention to the map they give you... those shops arent good, just walk and explore on your own. Mazatlan in my opinion was nasty. DO NOT DO THE STONE ISLAND TOUR. We left early it was so nasty (a lot of others left with us too).

We sailed the Spirit a few times now and once out of San Diego, The ship is truely amazing, she is one of our favortes, We will be doing the Cabo, Mazatlan and La Paz cruise this coming April, its only a 7 day cruise.

The 8 day cruise was also ok because it was on the Spirit, but the only port we really enjoyed was Acapulco, The other 2, Zihuatanejo and Manzanillo were ok, we did the exotic Resorts at each.

I prefer the Cabo, Mazatlan and P.V. or La Paz ports better.

Fred

DO NOT DO THE STONE ISLAND TOUR. We left early it was so nasty (a lot of others left with us too).

Yes you are right. If you are thinking Stone Island is a ritzy resort type area then stay away. If you want to visit a place to see how the locals live and work, then this is a great place to go. We love to visit other countrys and learn about their culture. Stone Island also is a great place for photo taking.

We are taking the 8 day cruise to Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and Manzanillo out of S.D. on March 31, 2007! We can't wait! The perk of going that week is that (because of good Friday, hubby only has to take 4 vacation days for an 8 day cruise! ;) Plus, it is when most California schools (Elementary to 12th grade) are on spring break so there should be plenty of kids for our 14 year old to hang out with! We took the Pride at this time and Ryan had a blast! We can't wait!

Archived