whaling approved by St.Kitts and St. Lucia

m steve

Two little island nations heavily dependent on tourist dollars from the US sucked up to the Japanese and agreed to whaling. We can express our displeasure by not spending our dollars on these islands and contact the cruise lines to replace them as ports of call. How much fun it will be swimming in whale blood? Hopefully enough letters to their tourist offices and the cruise lines will get them to change. It is a disgrace to whale today. There is nothing like sailing and seeing a whale on your cruise whether its the Caribbean, Alaska or Hawaii. :mad:

I am pretty bummed out about your post. My cruise in April has both islands as stops. I was looking forward to visiting both of these islands. Now what? :confused: I guess I'll need to do some research before I decide what to do at this point. :(

I will not support the killing of whales!

Since you seem to be the spokesperson for St. Kitts why not use your influence and get them to change their vote. On several sites there seems to be a tremendous disappointment with St. Kitts and St. Lucia regarding their vote. Swimming in blood is a metaphor but they seem to be swimming in Japanese blood money!:mad:

Since you seem to be the spokesperson for St. Kitts why not use your influence and get them to change their vote. On several sites there seems to be a tremendous disappointment with St. Kitts and St. Lucia regarding their vote. Swimming in blood is a metaphor but they seem to be swimming in Japanese blood money!:mad:

I would take you a LOT more seriously if you were advocating boycotting Japanese, Norwegian and Russian products - nations who ACTUALLY have been continuously whaling (scientific research they say) and are the ones who will actually be whaling rather than small Caribbean countries dependent on Tourism, who are NOT involved in the whaling industry in any significant way. But then it's always so much easier to attack the relatively weak rather than making an effort that might require altering one's lifestyle a bit (avoiding buying Japanese products).

Zeno- we need to show our influence just as the whalers did with these 2 small countries. Since they so need the tourist dollars perhaps they need them more than the Japanese bribes. If these 2 reversed their vote the legalized whaling would be stopped and then only those renegade nations would do it for scientific purposes whatever they may be. I don't want to hurt them, just show that their vote made a negative difference and we Americans who spend our money there aren't happy.

Boycotting Walmart because they sell Chinese goods made with slave labor would take millions of customers but here a couple of hundred cruisers could make a difference.

Zeno- we need to show our influence just as the whalers did with these 2 small countries. Since they so need the tourist dollars perhaps they need them more than the Japanese bribes. If these 2 reversed their vote the legalized whaling would be stopped and then only those renegade nations would do it for scientific purposes whatever they may be. I don't want to hurt them, just show that their vote made a negative difference and we Americans who spend our money there aren't happy.

Boycotting Walmart because they sell Chinese goods made with slave labor would take millions of customers but here a couple of hundred cruisers could make a difference.

I am sorry but bullying small countries with little actual whaling involvement just does not appeal to me. A non-threatening, letter to express disagreement with the vote seems more appropriate. Influence is a two-edged sword - bullying influence on the weak gets people's backs up. I reserve my indignation for the Japanese and Norwegians.

Pro-whaling nations have won their first vote towards the resumption of commercial whaling for 20 years. The meeting of the International Whaling Commission backed the declaration by a majority of just one.

In Favour of the St Kitts Declaration = 33:

Antigua & Barbuda, Benin, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Denmark, Dominica,Gabon, Gambia, Grenada, Guinea, Iceland, Japan, Korea, Kiribati, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mongolia, Morocco, Nauru, Nicaragua, Norway, Palau, Russian Federation, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines,Senegal, Solomon Islands, Suriname, Togo, Tuvalu

Being a cruiser - i'll not be spending any of my cash in these Caribbean countries and trust other members on here will take the time to consider their options.

our cruise ship will be calling at St.Lucia + Antigua - we'll not be going ashore - and we've had idea from another cruise critic member of hanging a banner over our balcony in protest at these countries.

Register your protest

admin@pm.gov.lc - Prime Minister of Saint Lucia

rgonsalves@mail.gov.vc - Prime Minister St. Vincent and The Grenadines

High Commission for Antigua and Barbuda

enquiries@antigua-barbuda.com - General Information

tourisminfo@antigua-barbuda.com - Tourism Information

Denmark - stm@stm.dk - The Prime Minister's Office

Solomon Islands - Prime Minister's and Cabinet - pspm@pmc.gov.sb

Government of Dominica mintour@cwdom.dm Ministry of Tourism

Gambia - info@statehouse.gm

Iceland - Prime Minister's Office postur@for.stjr.is

Norway - The Office of the Prime Minister - postmottak@smk.dep.no

Japan - Prime Minister of Japan - kanteihp-info@cas.go.jp

Cambodia- Royal Cabinet of His Majesty King Norodom Sihanouk Royal Palace, Phnom Penh Email: cabinet@norodomsihanouk.info + ocm@cambodia.gov.kh Deputy Prime Minister

Mongolia - webmaster@pmis.gov.mn

korea - korea@korea-dpr.com

Get emailing and save the Whales + dolphins and porpoises

jj.......

Archived