So confused as to which Canada/NE cruise to take!

Hello,

I'm a brand new CC member, and this is my first post. I've been driving myself (and my husband) nuts trying to choose the best cruise for us.

We actually had already booked the Celebrity Constellation 11 night cruise from Bayonne departing September 23, 2006, and we had a Concierge Class balcony stateroom. We were going to be sailing over our 2 year anniversary on October 2nd. This was going to be our second cruise, as we sailed on a cruise of the Mediterranean on Silversea for our honeymoon. We would have loved to sail on Silversea again, but didn't for two reasons...they don't sail to Can/NE this year, and also, the price. We splurged for our honeymoon, but didn't want to do so again so quickly. We loved everything about the small luxury ship experience, (all inclusive, freestyle dining, being able to eat at a table for 2, impeccable service) but decided to try something different with a larger line. I did my homework, and heard great things about Celebrity, so we decided on them. In addition, we live in New Jersey, so it would have been super convenient to get to the port.

We were very excited about this trip, but unfortunately, my husband had a business conflict come up that is now forcing us to change our dates. We have canceled our Constellation trip, but want to rebook. We cannot leave until after the 7th of October now, so I am debating between a sailing on Crystal that leaves from Montreal on the 8th, the October 16th sailing of the same Constellation itinerary, and possibly, the RCCL Jewel of the Seas 7 day sailing from Boston. Each has it's pros and cons, and I'm so confused! There is an obvious price difference between Crystal and the rest, and I don't know if it's worth it. Because it's a longer cruise, I'm thinking perhaps we should have as much ship entertainment as possible. My husband and I are in our early 30's and 40's, like to have fun, but we don't like too much craziness (i.e., bellyflop contests or something) However, we don't want to be the only young people on the ship with bridge lessons as the only form of entertainment! I also really liked the idea of the Concierge Class. It had a lot of extra amenities that you would normally only find in the suite categories, but minus the hefty price tag. Celebrity seems to be the only line that has such a thing.

So..these are all my questions. If anyone has any recommendations or past experiences with any of these cruises or lines, I'd very much appreciate it!

Thanks!

Congratulations on your first posting! I, too, am new to the boards! We'll will be visiting Canada/New England on the October 9 sailing aboard the Crystal Symphony.

I understand your dilema! You have some tough decisions to make. (Isn't that part of the fun of planning a special vacation??)!

I've been visiting the Crystal boards and have learned that many people who are repeat passengers make it clear that the experience onboard is the same regardless of the level of accommodations you choose. They choose their cabin category depending on the type of itinerary----port intensive itineraries(as the Canada/NewEngland trip) don't necessarily require verandas as the climate is generally cooler in the Fall and you probably won't be in your cabin that much! So a less expensive cabin means more excursions (and shopping!).

The onboard entertainment and the special lecturers are said to be exceptional. The food gets rave reviews and the alternate dining restaurants are without charge, except for the gratuity.

The downside may be somewhat smaller, but still lovely, rooms. Seating is not open in the Dining Room and alcohol is not included in the price of the cruise(tho you may bring your own, corkage fee is 15.00, and there are many gatherings where complimentary wine, champagne or whatever else you choose to order are offered.).

This itinerary is easy to do "on your own", as you've probably already realized while doing your research. The excursions thru the cruise line have a reputation of being very well organized, with easy transfers. Even with tendering, as we will in a couple of ports, it's said to always be very smoothe and quick. (Not surprising since there are less than 1000 pax).

The passengers seem to range in age. On this particular voyage, I already know there are many of us under the age of 50!! There have been a couple of funny threads on that board about the changing demographic of pax/baby boomers finally being able to indulge themselves! I guess that's us!!

One of the biggest selling points for me regarding this cruise line was all of the incredible comments about the staff and crew. Many stay with Crystal for several years, not just a couple of contracts. No matter what your station in life, your cabin assignment, how often you cruise---you are treated with warmth, sincere friendliness, and every effort to make your vacation a wonderful experience is strived for.

I hope this post won't be deleted---I am not trying to "sell" the cruise line, I'm just responding to the questions put forth. (I say this because another poster had similar questions recently, I think on the New England board, and several people responded with pros and cons regarding their chosen cruise line, and all responses were deleted except for the original post).

Almost forgot, I've yet to hear of a "belly flop" contest on Crystal, but apparently the Trivia Contests get pretty exciting!!!:D

So...elegant ship, interesting,well traveled passengers, incredible food, lovely rooms, great itinerary, attentive, thoughtful crew, interesting speakers...I can't wait!!!!!

Good Luck with your decisions!! There are great opportunities on so many ships---if one only had more time... a girl can dream!!!:)

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Having to leave in October certainly limits your choices. Have you considered Holland America? It is a good alternative for Crystal and Celebrity and the prices are about similar to X.

We've done 2 NE/Canada aboard HAL among other HAL itineraries. HAL also sails to Montreal, X does not. The service and the atmosphere are traditional ocean-liner, not mega ship resort, which sounds like what you're looking for. (plus, the HAL staterooms and suites are larger). The service is truly excellent, the ambiance and amenities are not found on too many other lines except Crystal and celebrity. Look over the HAL website, or go to the HAL board and ask questions.

Good Luck,

GN

• 2 weeks later...

Archived