Marseille tour

We and another couple from the Houston area will be on the Regatta that docks in Marseille, September 27. We are considering car rental so that we can do our own tour of Provence. Anyone with experience and suggestions?

Sounds like to me you are on the right track. I returned from Europe three weeks ago and might be able to help. The wife and I did the Les Baux de Providence tour provided by the Cruise we were on and found it to be very worth while. On the other hand I give you credit for venturing out on your own and wanting to rent a car. I have heard there is a service behind the tourtist beaurea in Marsallaie where you can hire a taxi for a reasonable price. Something like 25 Euros each (party of 4) for 4 hours. Since I have had experience renting a car in Europe here are the issues. One, where will you pick up the car rental. The Airport in Marsallaille is Northwest of the city about eight to ten miles from the Port. If you can get a suttle consider the cost. Transportation in Europe is cheap but there is a cost. Now if you can get to the airport I think a standard car will run at least $76.00 at a minimum. Two, add the cost of insurance and gas and I think your looking at a price well over $100 for the day. Split four way this is still a pretty good price. Here is a real interesting point. Your Car Insurance Company in the States will not cover you on a rental car in Europe. However if you have a Visa Card in most cases this becomes your primary Insurance Carrier when renting a car overseas. If you decline buying insurance coverage offered by the rental car company you will be covered by Visa for the same coverage you carry in the States. This is a bargin if you know what you are doing. This should be a good start for you in renting a car in Europe. Good luck, it can be done and done cheaply for those who plan ahead. Tim

Norwegian Sky 5/03

Norwegian Star 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas 5/04

Archived