Grand Cayman-Homophobic??

cruzeluver

I was just reading the article on this site about gay/lesbian cruising, and was surprised to read that the Cayman Islands are notoriously homophobic. They won't allow gay charters to tender there.

My question is, my partner and I are booked on a cruise this December, and Grand Cayman is our first port of call. Have any of you been to Grand Cayman and seen any outward signs of homophobia?

Thank you in advance for any responses. :)

Been there 3 times on cruises. I'm not real happy about their official position on things, but never had a problem with anyone there.

My feeling is if you took politics into account you'd have to write off half of the US.

Grand Cayman allowed Atlantis to tender there in January of this year. Their policy has changed. I'd relate my experience there, but I did so extensively in a similar thread earlier this year. If you do a search on the G&L board for "Grand Cayman" I believe you should find it.

Hello There,

I stayed on the Cayman Island of Grand Cayman for one week back in 2001 (May). It was a fantastic island and I never once came across anyone who was homophobic towards me. However, I should state that this island is heavily into religion. So much like the US and their religious nut jobs, religion and it's teachings against the GLB life are still prevelant. If you take that aspect out, the islanders are super friendly to everyone, be you gay or straight. Just don't go picking a fight over that gay marriage should be allowed or something like that and you'll be fine.

I've subsequently returned to the Cayman Islands on one cruise (Coral Princess) during of all days EASTER and had no problems again. I hope to make it back there this September, if a hurricane doesn't stop me. It's the most beautiful island and cleanest island in the Caribbean that I have ever been on.

Bon Voyage!

~Jake

We've (well, I've) thought about this. We're doing the Western Caribbean this September. Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Ocho Rios.

GC and Cozumel we're going to be with tour company. Ocho Rios, we have booked our own tour guide for the entire day. She will pick us up dockside.

Any concerns?

Archived