Distance From Kahalui to Lahaina

maxwellhouse106

In time, plan on 45-50min, just in case of traffic. Remember this is the ONLY road that gets you to the West coast of Maui. It took us about that to get from the Hyatt (Kaanapali Beach area) to Makena Beach (near the Maui Prince Hotel) on the South coast.

You will love the Old Lahaina Luau. We spent a week on Maui in May and stayed in Lahaina. I agree to give yourself at least 45 minutes to get to the luau. If you want, go a little early and spend time in Lahaina. The luau is about a 20 minute walk from the shops/restaurants. Have a great time.

IMO, I would not recommend walking from "downtown" Lahaina (Front St. along the water) to OLL. That's not a pretty or terribly fun walk at any time, and I don't think it would be particularly safe at night (parts are not well lit and have no sidewalks of any kind). Of course, if you are referring to Lahaina Cannery Mall before the luau, then that would be fine as it's basically across the street from OLL. Otherwise, I think it would be best to go to Lahaina (parking can be a buggah, but there's usually some at one of the little shopping centers) and then drive down to the luau. (Don't know the parking situation at the luau, but there must be some.)

beachchick

We are going to The Old Lahaina Luau and I was wondering how long it will take to drive from Kahalui to Lahaina.

Go earlier if you can and sightsee around Lahaina. Try to avoid pau hana commute hours like 3;00p.m. to around5;00 p.m. when traffic is a nightmare!!!:eek:

Of course walking would be fun to the OLL, depending on age, we have walked it several times. Stop along the way at all the shops along Front Street. Plan for at least an hour shopping at the Cannery Mall. Buy your sourviers at Longs. ABC Stores abound with choices for gifts also, they usually have good specials. One good place is Walmart in Kahului and also if you have a Cosco card.

Driving from Kahului to OLL can be a nightmare. Allow at least one hour or more, depending on what time you leave. Avoid between the hours of 3-5 because of local traffic. Driving from Kahului to the OLL is down Honoapiilani Hwy to Kenui or just down Front Street.

Travel between the tenders at Lahaina Warf and Kapalua can be achieved by taking the shuttle to Cannery Mall and tranferring to the City bus. It goes all the way to Kapaluna and the Ritz Carlton. As reported all the beaches are public and lots to chose from.

Don't know how much time in port but some of the things to consider when visiting Maui would be: Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tours, Snorkle trips from Manele Harbor to Molokini, whale watching (depending when going), Maui Theatre presenting Ulalena; parasailing; car trip to Halelaka, Hana or just circling the island;visit Hokopia beach for kite surfing or just watching them surf, Pineapple Hill for viewing surfing, just a few of my favorite.

I still do not believe that it is a particularly enjoyable walk from the waterfront in Lahaina to OLL. Beyond that I truly do not think it would be smart to walk back to the waterfront after the luau--in the full dark with parts of the road having virtually no light and some areas of no sidewalk (so you're kind of just walking along the side of the road). Walking to it in the daylight would certainly be safe. We've done it, but IMO it's not particularly fun once you get past Papalaua.

As always, JMHO.

beachchick

I'm with beachchick re the walk from downtown Lahaina to OLL. The daylight walk might be enjoyable, but afterwards it's rather dark and unsafe (not in a "mugger" sense - but just because there are frequently areas without sidewalks, streelights, or even decent shoulders.) It's certainly doable. Personally, if I wanted to do downtown I'd park there (heh), enjoy it, then drive park at the Cannery Mall - buy something at Long's or the ABC to "validate" the parking. From there the OLL is mighty close.

I've never found the drive from Kahului particularly nightmarish. It's certainly crowded in "rush hour", but just lower the windows, relax, and enjoy the primo views. Give yourself enough time and the drive is great regardless of time of day. After all, you're on Maui.

Archived