Happy Canada Day

Happy Canada Day! -- Jour heureux du Canada!

[i hope the French says what I wanted to say; I used an translation program.]

Don't rely too much on these translation programs :)

We would say Bonne Fête du Canada instead

Thank you for all your efforts and Happy 4th of July!

Hi FlagFan,

Don't worry, you would not insult anyone with your good wishes, I just wanted to point out that these electronic translation devices don't always give the correct answer. I've seen last names translated and all sorts of funny translation coming out these things.

When I think again about it, your good wish would be ok too in switching some words to make it: Heureux Jour du Canada! but it's not something we hear very often.

You want to laugh? When I moved to New Brunswick (my English was not as good at that time), it was the Anniversary of a lady I worked with, since the word Anniversary looks a lot like the word Anniversaire that means Birthday when it stands alone, I asked her if the flowers were from her husband.

Oh did they laugh about this one :D

I felt very stupid but I understood how funny my question was and I learned my lesson!

jp2001 -- Good story. I have gotten myself into trouble through my language ignorance. Years ago I took a trip through Italy and was determined to speak only Italian. Unfortunately, my only knowledge of the language was a year or two of classes in junior high school many many years before (and I was one of the worst pupils, at that) and a guide book with simple phrases. I decided to treat myself to a special dinner in Bologna which was (is?) known for its great cuisine. After valiantly trying to translate the menu for a while, I panicked when the waiter approached and ordered a random item on the menu -- "viletto de bue" (I think that's what it was called). After the waiter left I snuck a peak at my guidebook and found out I had ordered filet of musk ox. It tasted about what one would imagine an ox would taste like--tough as old leather. I never had such good service in a restaurant before as one by one during the course of the meal about four different waiters came by to see how things were going. I am sure they all wanted a look at the ignorant American who was valiantly insisting that everything was great as he largely unsuccessfully tried to wolf down an inedible piece of shoe leather. After that I confined my self to a lot of "buon giorno"s, "grazie"s, and pointing (and eating pizza and pasta).

Well, since I know less French than Italian, I will stick to English for the rest of my posts (at least until Bastille Day).

Archived