"Schedules" with kiddies

daddy03

Is it really possible to plan shore excursions, spa appointments,

etc, in advance and expect everything to just fall into place for us (6yo, 3yo, 8mo, nanny)? We can't execute like this at home! Given it will be our first cruise I would much rather go with the flow but don't want to end up disappointed that we could not get a banana boat ride, Sting Ray tour, massage, etc.

Any thoughts on this? Will we still be able to book stuff on the spot as we find we are able to? (Thanks to these boards we did learn about avoiding booking with the cruise line)

(Sold out Caribbean Princess 7/29)

The more popular shore excursions (snorkeling, boat tours, etc.) will be very close to, if not all the way, sold out by the time you cruise. I suggest planning those and registering ahead of time. If you find that you're unable to go, you can cancel 24 hours ahead of time with no penalty (in most cases). The spa treatments, reservations in specialty restaurants, seminars, etc. you won't be able to book until you get on board. I suggest planning your week and book those appointments soon after boarding. The fill up quickly.

Happy Cruising!!!!

(Sold out Caribbean Princess 7/29)

daddy03, I'm assuming this note at the bottom means you're on that sailing??? If so, please join us on the roll call. We have close to 40 other members on the same sailing and are planning a meet and greet right after the muster drill. Come get to know us on the Roll Call forum!

As far as your question, you'll actually be able to answer that better than anyone since you know your children and their temperaments, how they travel, how well they'll adjust to the kids' club, etc. I agree with the previous poster, that you're better off booking your excursions ahead of time rather than waiting until you're onboard (for the ship's excursions) or at the port (for independent tours). You can book spa appointments via the Personlizer on princess.com before you sail, as well as the ship's shore excursions. But, as the previous poster mentioned, if you plan to dine in one of the specialty restaurants (Sabatini's or Sterling Steak House) you'll have to wait until you're on board to make the reservation--but, be sure to do it soon after you board as those fill up quickly.

Since this is your first cruise I hope you know about the Personalizer. You need to log in to it and complete your information there. Hopefully your TA has told you about that!

Cheers!

Jayne

I think of this question a lot. We are going to be on the Valor this coming Aug. Our kids will be 12, 7 and 2. The 2 yr old is the one I worry about. So far the only excursion we have planned is the Stingray city one, and we will do the earliest one at 9:15am. My youngest usually takes a nap around noon or 1pm. I know her schedule will be messed up being on the cruise. We are going to play it by ear. She is pretty easy going, so we will just have to see. Any time we get off the ship, we will do it early, so we can get back to the ship for lunch and naptime for her.

If you have a nanny (my parents did that when they traveled with us a few times and it was great for everyone) then you should be able to work it out. I'd give two pieces of advice. 1. Keep their daily routines, bedtime, naps the same as much as you can. 2. Make breakfast your big family meal and go to the dining room together. We did that with our boys and it was great. They were fresh and happy, not tired from the day (They ate in the room with room service most nights, their choice. They are now spoiled and want to eat in bed) and can all be excited together.

Archived