Booked Disney Magic for Aug, Coming from RCCI, what should my Expectations Be?

Thanks for the posts, I do feel better. To clarify, we are going on the 7 day Med with VOS. We were booked on DCL's Med. cruise but we found we could get an Owner's suite on RCCL and still save $1,000 vs. DCL's Cat. 9 Oceanview. 185 sq. feet vs. 506 sq. feet will sure make a difference with 4 people in room one!!! I don't think I would have switched if I was staying in the same category stateroom.

ITA! We cruise Disney 3 times, in a Cat 6 and then 2 different Cat 9's (same size, just a balcony for Cat 6). We got a JS on the Mariner last year (aft with a HUGE balcony) for less money. We're so glad we did Disney, but are firm converts to RCCL now

The only "down" to DCL in my eyes is the size of the ship. After 3 cruises I felt like I knew every single area on board and we did eventually run out of "things" to do, just because we did them all - wine tasting, galley tour, golf putt competitiono, the frog race, etc.

Our kids adored both cruises and kid's club so you're fine there!

I guess I am a minority, after sailing the Explorer of the seas, my wife and I sailed on the wonder for a 4 nighter, what a waste of money. to us it did not compare. The only good things about the wonder were the rainforest room and castaway cay. After 10pm the ship shut down with the exception of a few cheezy bars and clubs. The shows were ok, but we feel were better on RCCL. Also the food we felt was better on the explorer. Palo was a waste of money, barely better than the dining room. Not worth the extra cost for us. Like I said, I am a moniority here, but give us RCCL anyday.

I am with you in the minority too. I would take RCI anyday too and I have 4 kids!

Chris

For our 35th Wedding Anniversary we took our 3 daughters, their husbands and Grandchildren (4) on the Disney Magic Double Dipper over the Memorial Day weekend and had a great time. The Grandchildren could not get enough of the various characters appearing around the ship....The shows were good but to 'recorded music' and some of the singers had to be dubbed over...We had early seating for dinner and the food was no better, and sometimes worse, than what we have found on other cruise ships....Wine tasting on Magic was no different than other lines, but did enjoy the opening of champagne with a sword....Returning home my wife and I agreed it was great for a one time event with family, but we really prefer a little less chaos and more adult activities found on other cruise lines....The only cruise line we have not enjoyed is Carnival....thought I was back in college at a frat party..

I have to echo pretty much every that has already been said. We have cruised on the Magic 4x and just loved each and every experience. The service was just impeccable and my kids just loved all the activities. In fact, I would have to say that Disney has the market on their children's programs- It is by far the standard by which all cruise lines should follow. However, that being said after 4 cruises we just felt like we wanted a change, a little less Disney and more offerings. And so we recently cruised on the Explorer having tried RCCL for first time- well we just loved it so much. Yes I would say that there were areas that disney far surpassed such as in dining areas/service- and even perhaps the shows but royal caribbean offers so much variety and different things to do that Disney doesn't. If you have young children I would definitely go w/Disney- otherwise for me it would be RCCL. We are booked on the Freedom and I just can't wait. Also, Disney's pricing is so much more expensive that we can cruise on RCCL for far less and really get a lot more for our money. Just my opinion here but it's a true evaluation. ;)

Archived