2007-2008 Catalogue / Gem Itineraries

linsue1231

Electricron:

I am confused!

I thought the Spirit was moving to New Orleans and the Dawn to Miami next year with the Gem coming to NYC.

Where is the itineraries for the Gem?

Don

\

Same problem I initially had - those itineraries are for the summer 2007. Gem comes to NYC in the fall of 2007;)

Why do you believe the suite finish will be worse than the Dawn?

They are just starting to build the Gem, and we all know it will be headed for New York City. Therefore, in a round about way, I believe the suite finish will be nicer than on the Dawn....NCL will outfit it to meet the expectations of most of it's passengers. Now, I agree the Pearl may not be as nice.

Because it is on Jewel. The paneling on the whole ship is several grades lower in my opinion. I don't believe they change the construction specs just for the initial port currently planned.

Why do you believe the suite finish will be worse than the Dawn?

They are just starting to build the Gem, and we all know it will be headed for New York City. Therefore, in a round about way, I believe the suite finish will be nicer than on the Dawn....NCL will outfit it to meet the expectations of most of it's passengers. Now, I agree the Pearl may not be as nice.

I haven't seen the Jewel, but after visiting the Pride of Hawaii for her christening in May, I was shocked at the cabin finish, in comparison to the Star, Dawn and PoAm.

The AA, for example, has no doors ( a drape) to close off the bedroom, the bathroom has faux marble walls and floors, rather than tile, no closet door, a drape instead. The suite has hideous dark brown wood grain Formica cabinetry :eek: and furniture. Very chintzy. All of the suites,as well as the GV were finished in this manner.

Having had plans to sail both the Pearl and the Gem in this accomodation, I was horrified and I will NOT spend the same $$ for those cabins as I will gladly spend for them on Star and Dawn.

I spoke with the VP of newbuilds at length and these changes are the choice of Chairman Lim, himself. I strongly suggested that he go back and speak to the Chairman again, even though these ships are his "toys", the cabins should be correct for the people who are going to be vacationing in them, at least meeting their "expectations" part way..

The problem I have is that I wanted to take a cruise on the Gem in the summer of 2007 and book it on my upcoming cruise on July 22nd. It appears that they have not decided on the Gem's itinerary for the summer of 2007 and therefore have not posted it yet.

The question is......Will the Gem be takingover one of the itineraries from the Spirit and Dawn which are being relocated? I am not sure if I want to go to the same ports I have visited the last two years.

Thanks anyway.

Don

Don -

The first Gem cruise is not until November 2007. The Dawn will still be in New York during the summer of 2007. We are looking forward to booking either the Gem Southern Caribbean in February 2008 or a Gem cruise in April/May 2008.

Rick.

I haven't seen the Jewel, but after visiting the Pride of Hawaii for her christening in May, I was shocked at the cabin finish, in comparison to the Star, Dawn and PoAm.

The AA, for example, has no doors ( a drape) to close off the bedroom, the bathroom has faux marble walls and floors, rather than tile, no closet door, a drape instead. The suite has hideous dark brown wood grain Formica cabinetry :eek: and furniture. Very chintzy. All of the suites,as well as the GV were finished in this manner.

Having had plans to sail both the Pearl and the Gem in this accomodation, I was horrified and I will NOT spend the same $$ for those cabins as I will gladly spend for them on Star and Dawn.

I spoke with the VP of newbuilds at length and these changes are the choice of Chairman Lim, himself. I strongly suggested that he go back and speak to the Chairman again, even though these ships are his "toys", the cabins should be correct for the people who are going to be vacationing in them, at least meeting their "expectations" part way..

It is reassuring to see that an experienced cruiser (unlike myself) finds the new decor on these ships as distasteful as we do. We much prefer the more elegant, sedate schemes over the new multi colored schemes which have appeared on the later NCL ships.

We have not been on any of these ships, but the pictures alone are enough to keep us away.

Sorry I misunderstood Dongordon...but as the previous poster mentioned, the first cruise is not until November 2007. The ship will not even be built for Summer 2007. You're going to have to find an alternative until 2008....:)

Don -

The first Gem cruise is not until November 2007. The Dawn will still be in New York during the summer of 2007. We are looking forward to booking either the Gem Southern Caribbean in February 2008 or a Gem cruise in April/May 2008.

Rick.

Rick,

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

I guessed I missed the "boat" (pardon the pun) on this one.

For some reason, I thought the Gem was starting this year in November.

I guess I might take the Spirit or Dawn again next summer (I love both of these ships), but I was really looking for a change in itinerary. I have already had the Florida & Bahamas twice on the Dawn and doing the St. Thomas, Tortola, Bermuda in two weeks on the Spirit. I like leaving out of NYC, but would like a 10 or 11 day cruise that hits some of my favorite islands... St. Martin, Barbados, Cayman or even Curacao and Aruba (I don't think any NCL ships hit those ports or do 10 or 11 day cruises in the summer).

Don

Electricron: I am confused. I thought the Spirit was moving to New Orleans and the Dawn to Miami next year with the Gem coming to NYC.

Where is the itineraries for the Gem?

Don

You're correct, but not until late 2007. The itineraries I posted earlier were for summer 2007.

Because it is on Jewel. The paneling on the whole ship is several grades lower in my opinion. I don't believe they change the construction specs just for the initial port currently planned.

You may be correct. Never-the-less, I believe New York City passengers demand and expect a better decor, and NCL will accomodiate. NCL could have easily sent the Sun instead of the Spirit to New York, I believe one reason they selected the Spirit is because it has a better decor, with both an asian theme and teak decks. But that's just my opinion.....

Rick,

Thanks for clearing this up for me! I guessed I missed the "boat" (pardon the pun) on this one.For some reason, I thought the Gem was starting this year in November.

Don

The Pearl starts sailing this winter, the Gem starts the following winter.The Pearl will be sailing out of Miami this winter, not New York, will repo to Alaska next summer picking up the Star's Glacier Bay itinerary, and will repo back to Miami the following winter.

It does get confusing when two more new ships are arriving soon.

You're correct, but not until late 2007. The itineraries I posted earlier were for summer 2007.

Electricron,

Yea, I didn't read the "fine print!"

I know the Spirit is your favorite ship and after the one-night cruise, I can see why you enjoy this ship. I am really looking forward to my upcoming "full length" cruise in two weeks!

And yes, I know where the "Dragon" is....I saw him/her on the one-nighter!

I think we should come up with a nickname for the "Dragon" instead of just calling it the "Dragon"

Any suggestions?

Don

You may be correct. Never-the-less, I believe New York City passengers demand and expect a better decor, and NCL will accomodiate. NCL could have easily sent the Sun instead of the Spirit to New York, I believe one reason they selected the Spirit is because it has a better decor, with both an asian theme and teak decks. But that's just my opinion.....

I agree with the beautiful description of the Spirit decoration - But......check out my previous post re the decor.

And, we aren't from N.Y. or any where near it!

Way out west somewhere in Montana, but we still know style when we see it!

Electricron, I know the Spirit is your favorite ship and after the one-night cruise, I can see why you enjoy this ship. I am really looking forward to my upcoming "full length" cruise in two weeks!

And yes, I know where the "Dragon" is....I saw him/her on the one-nighter!

I think we should come up with a nickname for the "Dragon" instead of just calling it the "Dragon" Any suggestions? Don

I hope you have a great a cruise as I had aboard the Spirit.

As for naming the :eek: DRAGON:eek:, I like Leo best.........

If you read the placard on the display stand, it's a leo breed dragon......

I hope you have a great a cruise as I had aboard the Spirit.

As for naming the :eek: DRAGON:eek:, I like Leo best.........

If you read the placard on the display stand, it's a leo breed dragon......

Electricron,

I will second that nomination...any other names?

If so, let's have the them and we can do a poll!

Don

Don -

Rick.

We are looking forward to booking the new Gem for our annual January winter getaway from New York on Jan. 16, 2008. We hope she will be as wonderful a host as the Dawn has been every winter since NCL came to New York.

Archived