Important Note On Cave Tubing

Eliot Ness

Just an FYI that if you have a private tour booked for cave tubing and you find out your cruise ship has cancelled all of their tours....... your private tour might still be going.

Last week on the Carnival Valor they cancelled all of their cave tubing and water sports due to rain earlier in the week. The other pax that were going in our group decided that our tour with Yhony would also be cancelled. The wife and I took a chance and took an early tender into Belize and found that Yhony was still set to go.

Yhony explained that the cruise ship tours don't have enough guides to safely handle the tons of people they book on the tour. Yhony had one guide for about every six tubes that were in the water. Each group was linked together and the guides made sure we had a safe trip down the river and through the cave. The river was higher than normal and a bit fast, but we had no problems.... we all had a great time! We did have to cancel the extra cave they normally do because the water was higher and that cave didn't have as much "head room".

They also explained that the National park would not let them go if the conditions were not safe, and Yhony had checked with them both the night before and that morning to make sure it was OK to do the tour.

I had read in the past where CC members with a private tour group mentioned that their guides would often stop to help a cruise ship pax that needed help because they were basically just given a tube and sent down the river.

There were other groups there also, so it seems the private operators were all set to go. I'm sure there are conditions where they won't allow any tours, but if you are booked with a private operator you might want to tender in to make sure.... if it isn't safe they won't take you, but there are conditions where they can go, but the cruise ships tours can't.

If we ever have a chance to go cave tubing again in Belize we will book it with Yhony, they were very safety conscious, watched out for us, and showed us a great time.

John

I have been thinking about the cave tubing in Jan. I don't know where to book besides Carnival any info would help..

Just an FYI that if you have a private tour booked for cave tubing and you find out your cruise ship has cancelled all of their tours....... your private tour might still be going.

Last week on the Carnival Valor they cancelled all of their cave tubing and water sports due to rain earlier in the week. The other pax that were going in our group decided that our tour with Yhony would also be cancelled. The wife and I took a chance and took an early tender into Belize and found that Yhony was still set to go.

Yhony explained that the cruise ship tours don't have enough guides to safely handle the tons of people they book on the tour. Yhony had one guide for about every six tubes that were in the water. Each group was linked together and the guides made sure we had a safe trip down the river and through the cave. The river was higher than normal and a bit fast, but we had no problems.... we all had a great time! We did have to cancel the extra cave they normally do because the water was higher and that cave didn't have as much "head room".

They also explained that the National park would not let them go if the conditions were not safe, and Yhony had checked with them both the night before and that morning to make sure it was OK to do the tour.

I had read in the past where CC members with a private tour group mentioned that their guides would often stop to help a cruise ship pax that needed help because they were basically just given a tube and sent down the river.

There were other groups there also, so it seems the private operators were all set to go. I'm sure there are conditions where they won't allow any tours, but if you are booked with a private operator you might want to tender in to make sure.... if it isn't safe they won't take you, but there are conditions where they can go, but the cruise ships tours can't.

If we ever have a chance to go cave tubing again in Belize we will book it with Yhony, they were very safety conscious, watched out for us, and showed us a great time.

John

I have been looking into the cave tubing. i don't know who to go through besides Carnival.. and info what be great!

Thanks inadvance

John

• 3 weeks later...

Archived