Waikiki Parc Hotel -- construction

NJskibum

Hi,

I have stumbled upon these boards while doing research for my Trip to Hawaii, and I am glad that I did. These boards have already been a great help from my reading of the topics. I will be getting married in November, and this trip will be our honeymoon. What better place to spend a honeymoon then Hawaii. Hopefully, I do not ask a question that has already been asked. My fiancé is pretty much doing all the planning for the wedding, as it is much more important to her, so I am planning the honeymoon, so we each have our jobs. Hawaii cost way too much to not plan anything in advance.

My question is about the construction around the Waikiki Parc Hotel. I will only be using this for our pre-cruise, as we will be sailing on the POH on November 6. This Hotel is the only Hotel that I can use my Amex points, which I figured for the pre-cruise, would be a good idea as it will only be a place to crash, due to our long flights from the east cost.

Can anyone tell me what the construction is like (or will be like in November), and if you would recommend the hotel? As I mentioned it will only be for one night, but I do not want to get my new wife (wow that a little weird using that term already) upset if their will be major noise problems with the construction, or anything else. We are not picky at all, just a bit concerned about the noise, so I thought I would ask the question

Also,If anyone has stayed there it would be great if you could state how your stay was.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm not sure if you're asking in relation to the Outrigger Boardwalk development (which is right down the street and will be ongoing for quite a while - but shouldn't cause any significant problems for you at the Parc) or in terms of the renovations going on at the Waikiki Parc itself.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/03/18/business/story02.html

It may be a little noisy during the daytime but night should be fine (they'll shut down construction then). Sounds like a majority (if not all) of the restaurants will be closed as well so you'll have to eat out.

Bottom line - the Parc's actually quite a nice little hotel - and the renovations will certainly make it even better but that won't help you since you'll be there before the renovations. If you can get a deal here (using points like you said), it might be worth it.

Spleen

Thanks Spleen,

I had read that the hotel was going to being renovating (figured the construction in the hotel would not be a problem as I figure the hotel would not cause too much noise to get the guest upset), but was concerned about the construction that was going on in the streets around the area. Sounds like it should not be a problem, so I probably use my points for the night before the cruise. Before I know it, Nov 6 will be here and we will be boarding the POH. The post cruise I have already booked at the Mariott, which from reading these boards is a decent hotel.

Thanks again!

Hey, I just realized that I'm on your sailing of the POH. :) I'm also booked on the POH for 11/6/06. Funny how that works.

What time are you coming in on 11/5/06? If you get to Oahu early enough, I'd highly recommend the Sunday brunch at Orchids in the Halekulani (the Waikiki Parc's sister hotel and right across the street). They book early though so if it interests you, I'd reserve beforehand - like 2-3 wks in advance. It's oceanfront with some gorgeous views of Waikiki Beach and the food is great.

Spleen

Hey, I just realized that I'm on your sailing of the POH. :) I'm also booked on the POH for 11/6/06. Funny how that works.

What time are you coming in on 11/5/06? If you get to Oahu early enough, I'd highly recommend the Sunday brunch at Orchids in the Halekulani (the Waikiki Parc's sister hotel and right across the street). They book early though so if it interests you, I'd reserve beforehand - like 2-3 wks in advance. It's oceanfront with some gorgeous views of Waikiki Beach and the food is great.

Spleen

Hey Spleen

Any dinner recommendations? We are also staying there pre-cruise in September, arriving around 8pm. Suspect all we will want to do is check-in, find a good place to eat for our first night in Hawaii and then relax in our room. We wont have a car.

tks

8 PM arrival into HNL? Not much will be open by the time you get to Waikiki - figure around 9 PM or so by the time you get checked into your room and got the luggage squared away. You might be stuck with looking for fast food nearby, unfortunately. The aforementioned Orchids does a wonderful dinner as well as the House Without a Key does great sunset pupus and hula dancing but you'll be too late for both of those (both in the Halekulani hotel across the street from the Parc).

How many nights are you in Oahu before your cruise?

Spleen

8 PM arrival into HNL? Not much will be open by the time you get to Waikiki - figure around 9 PM or so by the time you get checked into your room and got the luggage squared away. You might be stuck with looking for fast food nearby, unfortunately. The aforementioned Orchids does a wonderful dinner as well as the House Without a Key does great sunset pupus and hula dancing but you'll be too late for both of those (both in the Halekulani hotel across the street from the Parc).

How many nights are you in Oahu before your cruise?

Spleen

Hey Spleen

Ooops I am wrong. Just checked, the flight arrives at 4!! not 8. Ok thats better. Am sure we will still be wiped and may not want to start venturing out. Only the one night in Oahu then cruise leaves next evening so will wander Honolulu all day Monday. Any different suggestions based my revised timing? tks as always

In that case, House Without a Key will fit the bill. If you get there at sunset, it'll be a wonderful view, good food, hula entertainment - you'll really get the feeling of being in Hawaii. Plus, you can sign for the bill and put it on your tab at the Parc since the two hotels share signing privileges.

Spleen

Spleen,

Thanks for the advice on the restaurant, but unfortunately we will not be getting into Oahu until about 8pm. Saturday we get married, and we did not want to fly out too early, so we are flying out of NJ about 1:30, and do not land until about 7:30, Hawaii time. The good and bad news is that it is a direct flight, but 11 hours in the air will not be fun. The 8pm is going to feel like 2am to us, but hopefully we will be able to sleep on the plane. The restaurant sounded like it would have been a really great place to get something to eat. I still need to figure out the places for the post cruise, so maybe that could work then, but I am guessing that the brunch deal is only on Sunday’s.

Wow, that is pretty cool that we are on the same voyage. We will have to meet up for a drink.

You must be taking the direct Continental flight from Newark to HNL. Yeah, your eating options will be sort of limited by the time you land - I hope that they'll feed you dinner before you land so that you can just roll into the hotel and go to sleep (best way to get over jetlag). Then you'll be good to go the next day (as long as you don't wake up around 3 AM or so, LOL)

Definitely we'll have to meet up for that drink!

Spleen

Yes, we are on the continental flight out of Newark. I though it would be best to take the direct, to hopefully minimize any delays. When I was researching the flights, I was originally planning to switch planes, to beak up the flight a little, but all you do is get off and on another plan, which adds a few more hours to the total travel time, so why not get there the quickest way possible. I figure the flight over will not be too bad, as we will be excited to get to Hawaii, but the flight home will be horrible, as we will be leaving Hawaii, and soon will be back at work.

Yeah, I am hoping that we will sleep though the night, and not get up around 3am. I figure if we go to sleep around 10pm….we will have a fighting chance of sleeping though the night, which we will be good to go when we board the ship. The next day I have no plans for any sightseeing, as I just want to relax. My post-cruise, I will so some sightseeing of the island….as you cannot go to Hawaii without seeing Pear Harbor.

I have bought all the revered books that this site has recommended, and they are really great books. I just have to be careful not to overbook ourselves, where we will need a vacation from the Honeymoon. Need to put in sometime for relaxing. Thanks for all the advice so far

You may want to consider taking a sleeping pill the night that you arrive to make sure that you sleep for an extended period of time. Or failing that, maybe a Benadryl before you go to bed. And I also agree about the relaxation - make sure not to overbook things!

Spleen

Archived