cave tubing and zipling with Nacho/Cynthia

nikita

Hello - we just got back from our trip on Valor. We stopped off in Belize on Thurs. I had booked cave-tubing/canopy with Nacho and Cynthia for our group of 5. The day before they announced on the ship that their cave tubing and also canopy tours were cancelled due to rains the previous days. We didn't know what to do - but decided to just go along with our plans and if we couldn't do those things maybe Nacho and Cynthia would be able to take us to other fun places. We were afriad about the tendering knowing the ships tours had precedence to the tendering but when we went down to the Ivanhoe lounge at around 8AM to get our tendering ticket there was no problem at all - since they had cancelled those tours there was hardly anyone there to tender off at that time. I believe we got on the first tender so that was good since Nacho told us to get off ASAP. We walked off into the docking area after about a 20 minute tender ride and proceeded to terminal 1 and outside the gates to meet our tour. We were my husband and I around 50 yrs. old, my son 19, daughter 17, and friend 19. Nacho and Cynthia met us there and we proceeded to their airconditioned van. Although the van is not new, it was comfortable anyways. We had them all to ourselves and along with them a guide in training named Claude from Switzerland. We were pleased to find out that we could do the ziplining and the cavetubing. I told them my concern about safty since the ship had canceled their tours but Nacho insisted that he wouldn't do it if our safty was an issue. He said the cruislines uses a different canopy tour and that they (Nacho and Cynthia) had access to one cave which wasn't flooded. So off we went. They took us on a tour of the city and related many interesting facts along the way. I believe it took us about one hour to reach Jaguar Paw, a resort area in the rainforest where we did both the ziplining and the cavetubing. We enjoyed both soooo much! If you are not in good physical condition the walk up the hill to the ziplines might be too much for you. I work out a lot and was very winded. But they told us to take our time so you could go as slow as you wanted. The path was very well built with stone steps, but very steep. The attendants were fantastic and very safty concious. It is a little scary being up so high but you are cabled in at all times and no chance of falling off. It was a great experience! After that we proceeded to the resort area to get our tubes and life jackets. The river was high due to the rains as mentioned previously and also the current moved us along at a higher speed then normal but it was a fantastic experience. We hooked our legs under the tube in front of us and there was seven in all - including us and two guides, Claude, and Pedro from the resort. The caves were incredible. My son and husband said they reminded them of the ride Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland. I've never seen anything like them really. We all enjoyed this exciting adventure. We were thankful we were a small group - we saw much larger groups all hooked up and I just don't think that would be as much fun. After cavetubing we dried off and went to lunch in the resort restaurant. This came with the price of our tour which was only $115 for everything - a bargain compared to cruiseline prices. Our lunch was good - chicken, rice and beans with Belizian hot sauce if you wanted it. Afterwards we walked to the butterfly farm which is on the premises and quite nice - beautiful butterflys were plentiful and if you wanted you could go into the habitat - I'm afraid of moths and even though there weren't any moths I get a little freaked out - but everyone else went in and enjoyed it. They also have a few other animals to see in cages which were very interesting. Ask Nacho to tell you about the "Royal Rat". After that we went on our way and got a tour of Belize City on the way home. They dropped us off at the outside market accross the street from the cruise terminal and we did our shopping there - much less then inside and you can bargain also. I really recommend this tour with Nacho and Cynthia. If we didn't book with them we wouldn't have been able to do the things we did. They are locals and have ways to do things when the ship can't. Also they know the best places to do the things we did. It wasn't crowded at all and we lucked out in every possible way. I would not be scared of missing the ship - Nacho told me before I booked that they would not stay in buisness very long if they let this happen. Another great thing is this - you don't pay any money upfront, so if there is any problem with the ship not being able to dock you aren't out any money. I guarantee you that this is the way to go - independant of the ships tours which do not offer the two tours together anyways. We had plenty of time (docked 8-5pm) but it helped that we were off the ship early too. Their website is ncqadventuretours.com if you want to check it out. Any questions? I'd love to answer them.

I believe Nacho said he was born in Belize - I think Cynthia as well but can't remember. They have lived there most their lives - Nacho showed us the High School he graduated from. He lived also in US for a while and has family in Ca. area. Nacho is very proud and happy to be a Belizian and that comes out in his tour.

I believe Nacho said he was born in Belize - I think Cynthia as well but can't remember. They have lived there most their lives - Nacho showed us the High School he graduated from. He lived also in US for a while and has family in Ca. area. Nacho is very proud and happy to be a Belizian and that comes out in his tour.

It is always nice to know you have a local as a guide. We have also booked the zipline and cave trip with Nacho, for a group of around 15. some will only be doing the cavetubing, and I picked Nacho and Cynthia because the others can wait around at the Jaguar resort, which sound great. I was not sure if the other tour groups used this resort for lunch/waiting. They were a bit more $, which adds up when you have a group, so I hope it is worth it.

they have gotten good review, but so have the other companies.

I don't think you will be disappointed - I'm not sure if others use the resort - I think there was one other small tour group bouncing around, but remember - your lunch is included and I believe it isn't included in the others and I believe the tour is only $5 more then the others? Anyways the lunch is well worth $5 and you get a beverage as well (coke or sprite - no diet).

Archived