New Year's Eve

reesa

Anyone ever been on a New Year's Eve cruise and if so what was it like? Is the seating still the same (early or late)? We get on the boat on the 31 so I imagine it will be a little rushed.

I've been on cruises twice for New Years Eve, once on Princess and once on NCL. I don't know how they compare to yours since your embarkation day is on the 31st. On both cruises the dinner seatings were not changed (this was before NCL went to freestyle cruising) and New Years Eve was a formal night. I think New Years Eve is one of the better holidays for cruises since it gives everyone a place to celebrate. Complimentary sparkling wine was served at midnight...lots of noise makers. Both of our cruises were fun.

Here's from my review of my NYE cruise (12/22 to 1/6 on the IP to Hawaii):

New Year’s Eve Dinner:

At every place setting were noisemakers and hats/tiaras

The dinner menu included the following:

Appetizers:

Caviar, Golden Fresh Fruit, Royal Pheasant

Entrées:

Broiled Alaskan River Salmon, Twin Broiled Lobster Tails, Medallions of Muscovy Duck Breast, Herb Crusted Legs of Veal, Loin of Pan Roasted Lamb

Deserts included:

Special Golden Soufflé with White Chocolate Sauce, NYE Mascarone Mousse Cake

Willie Tyler and Lester performed at 7 and 8:45. After 10pm, there were a several official parties going on. In the Universe Lounge was the Black and White Ball. Swing music. The Masked Ball was scheduled for the Plaza Atrium. Red Hot 20006 Party was in the Explorers Lounge (rock music but the cloud of smoke drifting out dissuaded us from venturing inside). In the Wheelhouse Bar was the Mardi Gras 2006 – a jazzy NYE celebration with the Vinnie Knight Quartet.

What amazed me was that Princess didn’t pass out free champagne. Considering that this specific cruise was one of the highest priced ones of the season, it would have been a nice touch on the part of the cruiseline.

First, we stopped at the Bayou Café and listened to a guitar player. Then we checked out the other parties. We ended up at the Wheelhouse Bar, where the jazz band was playing and waited awhile for a couple of chairs to get free. A short time before midnight we made our way to the atrium.

At midnight, the net dropped over the atrium, releasing balloons. Immediately, most of them were popped right off the bat. We were astonished; wouldn’t this be the time to play around and bat the balloons around?

If you want to read the review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=285469

We had a great time enjoying the New Year's Eve celebration on Grand Princess a couple years ago. There was a special dining menu similar to the one posted above, and it was a formal night. Since you will on the first night of your cruise, it might not be formal. There were parties in all the big public areas. Princess passed out party favors and silly hats for everyone to wear. I don't recall if free champagne was served or not, it didn't matter because there was so much about. The bar backs were constantly going to the coolers to get more out - sales were brisk! And boy, was the ship trashed, streamers and empty bottles everywhere. The next morning, the ship was spotless again.

I was on Celebrity Century over New Years last year.

They had a big party on the deck, hot tubs were filled with champagne, noise makers and hats were given out. We were in kind of a semi circle with 2 other ships. I'd guess we were all on different times since all 3 ships blew their horns an hour apart. It was also the night of the gala buffet.

Best New Years party.

I remember that the next morning it was sooooo quiet. And the morning show on the cabin TV consisted of the assistant CD and the boutique manager -- that was it. Their segments were repeated over and over again.
That's the way our ship was, too. There were no lines to get on the tenders to Grand Cayman, no tickets required, when tendering started. Quite a change from the usual! :)

Archived