Coffee.....on board Carnival

maxsmart98

Have no clue, but it's a lot better in the dining room than on Lido.

I'll add this - when I was F&B director for hotels, we bought the brand of coffee that our vendor sold - like a 'house brand', so I kinda imagine the cruise lines do much the same.

Does anyone know what brand of coffee CCL uses? Is it something you can buy...or is a commercial brand?
I'm guessing it's probably different from ship to ship. Most of the ships purchase provisions from wherever they get a good deal in whatever port they're in. Maybe Aramark in NYC and Sysco in Miami for instance. (I don't know those companies for a fact)

Last year on the Legend, the coffee in both the dining room and the lido was very good. This year on the Miracle, it was awful! I am picky about my coffee...and this was just tasteless! I ended up getting my coffee fix from the Coffee Bar, but of course that's extra.

Kind of makes me wonder..is the coffee worse than last year so the coffee nuts will be forced to PAY for good coffee???????

Also, was a little upset that in the Dining Room, they really pushed "order a cake if you are celebrating a birthday or anniversary" but neglected to tell you you now must PAY for it! Last year for our anniversary they gave us a free cake.

And to push it that way, and then make the poor waiter have to tell you it's extra $ for a cake is just not right.

On my recent June Cruise on the Carnival Glory, I felt that the coffee was much better than in my past 8 other cruises. Maybe they finally realized it was time to do something about it. The coffee is better in the main dining room and was excellent in the Emrald Room.

Since my DH sells coffee for a living has has asked on numerous cruises who provided the coffee and the wait staff had to go ask the cooks. They did use a large commercial company, he thinks it was MDS (not his) while the Pride was out of FL.

I agree the pay for coffee was tons better and I needed a few during the week for my real fix.

Whatever the choice it is probable that they do use different vendors depending on geographical area, and he kiddingly wished he could get Carnivals account in LA and San Diego. Would probably pay for a yearly cruise in just that commision... sighs wistfully.

One thing we did while waiting for Pride to sail out of Long beach was watch them loading food, since the pier and dock are easily while we waited to sail. It is an amazing array of huge trucks and semi's, but we never did see a coffee truck. So it could indeed be a wholeale grocery house LIKE Sysco.

I am surprised in a way the huge gourmet companies in Seattle, like Seatle's Best and Starbucks have not nailed Carnival for an account.

Nancy

The addicted spouse of the local coffee dealer

With all of the controversy about different types and tastes of coffee, I certainly am glad that I am not a coffee drinker. I feel sorry for those of you that are not happy with the coffee served of several of the ships. Hope it improves for all of you.

The coffee on Carnival is not brewed. It is made from a syrup. I have seen this done on Carnival and on other lines. They have to be able to churn out hundreds of cups per day and this is the most efficient way to do it.

They best coffee comes from the coffee bars and costs extra.

I think the brand varies from ship to ship, or even cruise to cruise. I remember the first sailing on Ecstasy and the stuff on the Lido deck was bitter and nasty (well, for coffee, anyway). In December, it was actually quite good. Of course, the best stuff came from the cafe.

Archived