Snorkeling in Belize

madisonswims

skneu1

Last March I did the Cave tubing with Yhoni and I had a great time with no regrets. You are probably like myself trying to get 28 hours of enjoyment out of the vacation day.

The constrant is that Belize is a tender port with about a 5 miles ride between the port and the ship

and the ship is not there over night.

I wanted to do both myself but the tubing took all day. The ride to the river is a little over an hour, then you have a 40 minute walk in and about a 90 minute to 2 hour float out - then another hour back. We also stopped for a local dinner of rice and chicken with some cold local beer.

When we got back to the pier it left us maybe an hour to do some port shopping before I need to get back to the ship.

Not near enough time to do any swimming.

There were several people on board that did do snorkeling and tank diving and had a great time. They were surprised that the boat picked them up right at ship side and took them to the dive sites- they never set foot on Belize soil.

I hope this helps.

J

These guys offer Belize snorkel tours that pick up directly from the ship.

Ian

have you used them for a snorkel tour. i am a great swimmer but have never snorkeled and would love to do it in belize. i want to go with a good company, not have to tender and definetely not use the ship tour if i dont have to tender. thanks for any info on the tour you had with them if you used them and if a beginner will have a problem.

thanks alot, music

Hi musicmansmom

I had the chance to take the Belize Paradise snorkel tour last year and it is designed for people of all abilities - beginners will have no problem. You will be wearing lifevest and will have trained guides in the water with you at all times. Often you will be in quite shallow, calm waters and the catamaran is always nearby too. To enter and exit the water they use 'stairways to the ocean' - so this is easy too.

I think it would be a great introduction to the world of snorkeling...!

Ian

I suspect you will find that Belize Paradise tours ARE the tours offered by the cruise line (most if not all of them).

One thing I don't like about them (probably by contractual obligation), is that snorkle vests are MANDATORY and at the snorkle stop, they tried their best to make you partially inflate them. Wearing a snorkle vest doesn't bother me and isn't a bad idea, but having to partially inflate one? Of course, you can deflate as soon as you hit the water - ;)

Second thing is that they wouldn't allow fins at the stingray/shark stop - it is a good thing to not allow them when walking around - you don't want to injure or tick off a stingray, but I like to swim until I find a nurse shark or three.

But, they do pick you up at the ship (obviously since it is a ship tour), and the ship will wait for you (almost always) if there is a problem. My time is worth something. On the other hand, if you want to hit the pharmacy at the port, you have to tender in, anywho.

Here are some pictures from that company from my Grand Princess cruise last Chirstmas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=275150

A different tour, different ship, same company:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=257119

Have also been out with Coral Breeze (not sure if the tour they offer is the same boat, now):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=161932

And a prior tour to that, that was supposed to be Coral Breeze, but ended up being what I think is Eco Tour (but a different boat, maybe?)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=107899

{spoiled me because fins were allowed (or at least not forbidden) - times may have changed}

Next trip, I am tempted to try the flight seeing/Shark Ray tour from Eco tours, but haven't made a decision, yet. I may try to do on my own or who knows what.

I would say I have gotten my money's worth will all of them, but think I might be able to do better - but of course, doing worse is a POSSIBILITY.

I guess the bottom line is I'm still seeking that WOW, as in WOW this is so good I can't believe it factor. If I could combine the reef snorkeling of the most recent trip with the shark interraction of the first trip, I think that might be it!

those pix are awesome. you have made up my mind to do this tour. if this is who the ship ( carnival legend ) uses i will go with them. i cant wait to try it and see all the great things under water. . carnival prices this tour with 2 $ signs. so i am assuming it is around $80 dollars or so. if i dont have too tender it will be worth it. wow, it is going to be along time before april gets here.

i went to their site and since this is who carnival uses ( and you dont have to tender ) i am going to book them for sure. there were so many choices of things to do in belize but snorkeling has won for my choice. i am going to buy a good one time underwater camera instead of taking my expensive digital. i know i will get great shots from one of them. this is going to be a great cruise for me. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great, glad I could help musicmansmom!

I agree, the fact that you don't need to tender is a big plus with the Belize Paradise tours.

A disposable underwater camera should be fine, most of the snorkeling is in shallow water and I always find my bests pics are near the surface - no need for an expensive digital for that!

There is also an underwater photographer on the tour with you, so if you're interested in some professional shots of you with the smiling fishes remember to take a little extra cash to buy them at the end.

Have a great trip - let us know how the tour was!

Ian

Great, glad I could help musicmansmom!

I agree, the fact that you don't need to tender is a big plus with the Belize Paradise tours.

A disposable underwater camera should be fine, most of the snorkeling is in shallow water and I always find my bests pics are near the surface - no need for an expensive digital for that!

There is also an underwater photographer on the tour with you, so if you're interested in some professional shots of you with the smiling fishes remember to take a little extra cash to buy them at the end.

Have a great trip - let us know how the tour was!

may i ask== since this will be my first snokeling adventure should i buy my own mask and snorkel? or is using the boats gear good enough??

thanks for any help :)

The quality and cleanliness of the snorkel equipment on the Belize Paradise tours is very good, so no real need to buy your own equipment unless you have $50 burning a hole in your pocket :)

The main thing is to make sure the mask you use fits nicely and the fins (flippers) are comfortable. The guides will probably explain this, but to test the mask, place it on your face without using the strap. If it seals well then the suction will hold it to your face, at least for 10 seconds, without it falling off. If it falls off check if you have hair in the seal anywhere (men with beards or moustaches sometimes use Vaseline to help the seal, though this isn't always necessary). If it still doesn't stay on then try another mask... after trying a few you should find one that fits the contours of your face.

When you put it on with the strap, make sure the strap is high up on the back of your head, not down near your neck.

Fins are easier - try them on (wet them first to make it easier if you like), if your toes aren't crunched up and nor do the heels slip around when you waggle your feet, then they should be about right.

You may want to use something to prevent the mask fogging too.. sometimes the guides will have a special liquid, or good old fashioned spit works just as well..! (Don't worry, the masks are thoroughly cleaned after each tour!)

If you really enjoy your first snorkeling experience then you may want to buy your own gear... who knows, you may want to try scuba-diving next too...!

Say hi to the fishes for me!

Ian

thanks for letting me know that the gear from paridise will be ok. i am wondering if i should invest in a snorkel though just to be safe that i have one that wont get water in it. i keep hearing about dry snorkels and purge. whatever that means. i just want to have a great '' first time '' snorkeling experience. im sure it wont be my last :) . i cant wait to go and do it. and i will say hi to the fish ;)

I'm sure you'll find a mask with Belize Paradise that will be fine, but if you wanted to buy one they are not that expensive and I'm sure you'll get to use it again!

Not sure what 'dry snorkels and purge' means in this context! If masks aren't looked after properly I guess the seal could dry out and perish... and 'purge' is a usually a diving term referring to 'purging' your mouth piece, tube or mask of water... To clear the mask of water when you're on the surface snorkeling the easiest way is to pull it off your face a little and simply let the water run out.

Seriously though, this really shouldn't be a problem.. sure you'll get some water in your mask at some point, but not enough to trouble you...

Ian

Archived