The Dress that got away

You know how you have one of those nice, normal days where your life is fine the way it is until you come across THE Dress and at that moment you think to yourself that you HAVE TO HAVE IT or else life will not be complete without it? Well, I had that moment. I found the perfect dress. It was a beautiful silk dress that was so flattering and made my waist look tiny and looked like something that Audrey Hepburn or Carrie on "SATC" would have worn. Best of all, it was ON SALE. Not just a little markdown. I'm talking 70% off!! And an additional 25% off because I am an employee at the store. Well, the store was closing and I didn't have time to purchase it. Also, since it was a sale item I wasn't allowed to put it on hold. So, I thought, it's okay, I'll just come back the next day and buy it. I didn't get a chance to come in the next day until after lunch and to my utter horror, the dress was GONE. GONE!!! In the span of 4 hours someone bought my beautiful Audrey Hepburn dress *sob*.

Anyway, now I'm sitting here wishing that my life would go back to the way it was before I saw The Dress. So, I keep telling myself, it didn't look that great on me. I didn't really need it. When would I have worn it anyway? Maybe I should go to a hypnotist and get it erased from my memory? :p

A friend of mine found a sale dress at Neiman Marcus for about $200 (after discount). It was seafoam green, had gorgeous beading, and was perfect for lean and tall frame. A call to the 'rents who were funding the dress (it was "hunt for prom dress" get together) resulted in a "WHAAATTT? NO! TOO MUCH!" It was a fantastic formal. I wax poetic thinking about her in it. So gorgeous.

Later, she got two dresses, one for prom and one for a family wedding and the total? Over $200. To this day, almost 10 years later, her friends will look at each other and go "Stephi's Dress" and we all look morose or peeved.

The dress that got away. Kicker is, she's about the same model lean size that she was in high school, so she'd still be able to wear that dress! Now, if we try dresses on for kicks, we vow that if one of them is as fantastic as "Stephi's Dress", it goes home.

chopstix2000, I'm sure it looked better on you ;D

What store do you work at?

I work at Ann Taylor. So, a lot of outfits that I post on here are from there. Their spring and summer collection was really cute this year. Lots of great dresses *sigh*. Fall and Winter Collection, IMO, start to get boring b/c that's when the suits and sweaters come out and since I'm a grad student living in Texas, I really have no use for either. Which is probably good, b/c I really need to stop spending all my paychecks there :o.

Would another Ann Taylor store, or the online store have your dress?

Unfortunately, not. It was a dress from the early Spring collection and it was just a fluke that the one that was in my size got returned. So none of the stores have anymore. I even checked Ebay. Oh well, que serah, serah.

So sorry to hear about losing "The Dress".

I know it is a bummer...but here's hoping you'll find one that you can love equally...or even more!

:)

Travelpeon...love the story about Steph's dress!

~e

I work at Ann Taylor. So, a lot of outfits that I post on here are from there. Their spring and summer collection was really cute this year. Lots of great dresses *sigh*. Fall and Winter Collection, IMO, start to get boring b/c that's when the suits and sweaters come out and since I'm a grad student living in Texas, I really have no use for either. Which is probably good, b/c I really need to stop spending all my paychecks there :o.

I worked evenings at Ann Taylor in Walnut Creek, CA years ago to help pay my $1500.00 rent. It didnt help.....I ended up with paychecks for about $5.00, but I looked REALLY cute. ;) You know how that goes!

Cheers,

M.

• 1 month later...

Archived