RCCL -Oceanview Cabins

karen54

My daughter and BF are booking last minute on Explorer of the Seas for Eastern Caribbean. They are torn between guaranteed balcony and going for the cheaper Oceanview room (just a window) but are concerned because the only openings are on Deck 2. How low are those cabins? Is your view out the window just about water line?

Any advice is appreciated.

Deck 2 is of passenger space. there are quite a few decks under deck 2 for crew etc..

http://community.webshots.com/photo/508052803/1508351502079869007hBohie

see the windows--- thats the deck of oceanviews.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/481939297/1538089110080150150sIMZii

from this picture -- you can see how far up you are cmpared to thepeople on the pier. No-- its not at the water line

Thanks so much..I think I am going to influence them to stick with the balcony guarantee..it is the BF's first cruise and the difference is only $200. After all..it's not my money!

LOL the way to cruise IS with others money.

But for a first time cruiser- he has nothing to compare it with so an oceanview may be the way to go.

$200 total is per person??

It is $200 PP. My daughter has cruised before in an inside but we were across the hall in a balcony so she could always come over for the use of the balcony. She says she would feel claustrophobic back in an inside again and thought having a window would be helpful. They will be on EOS, 10/6, to Eastern Caribbean. The balc gty is 1049 and the oceanview gty is the same price! The oceanview on Deck 2 would be 849. I think they are really leaning toward the balcony!!!

You are right..I think that's what her BF is thinking. I am just really worried if they take an OV GTY for 849 they will not be happy with the room and it is a 9 day cruise..as my DD says, they may end up killing each other after that much time together..he works a lot so they aren't used to all that time together! :) Ultimately..it's their choice since it's their $...but I'm having fun living vicariously!

• 8 months later...

I was researching OV's on the Explorer and my search turned up this old thread! Hate to bring it back, but it does lead to my questions/issues.:)

Was booking for a 'newbie' couple and was undecided between an I on Deck 2 or an upgrade to F or H which would have placed the cabin very close to the bow, or in one instance the aft! Since the 'lady' of the couple had some previous motion issues, and her male counterpart has never cruised, I opted for Cabin 2600 on Deck 2. This cabin is basically mid-ship, so the 'motion', caused by ship movement, should be minimal.

I still have a while to re-book (sailing is April 2008 from NYC), so if anyone has any advice or experience with this issue, please respond. :p If it was my $$$, I would have opted for the extra $140. pp and booked an E-2 balcony, but the OV is an upgrade from her normal inside cabin!

Sailing ou tof NY will have a different kind of ride when comparing to ships out of FLorida. Out of NY you could get quite a bumpy ride for the first two days. Try to get as close to midship as possible. You dont want to book your friends close to the front if it can be helped.

Sailing ou tof NY will have a different kind of ride when comparing to ships out of FLorida. Out of NY you could get quite a bumpy ride for the first two days. Try to get as close to midship as possible. You dont want to book your friends close to the front if it can be helped.
That was my impression, as well, as I've seen some video's of the seas from NYC!! And it is quite a long two 'days at sea', so I think the midship on Deck 2 was my best option.:p

We booked an E-2 center of the hump.. On the EOS, the hump is a little more towards the aft, but we picked Deck 7, so we should be fine.:) DW and I usually book aft, but tho't the 'hump' might work out better for the extended sea days!:D

Serene, Harry's menu is still in my mind!:cool:

Book the most midship cabin available.

Then check often. Availability can change from hour to hour as people book and have to cancel or put courtesy holds and then decide not to go. Also, TAs take groups of cabins and at some point have to return unsold cabins.

You can change cabins at least up to when you make final payment.

I'm going on the Explorer of the Seas on 8/31 and have changed cabins 4 times.

Hi There: We are also going on the 8/31 Explorer. We are not really crazy about RCCL but the dates and ports work out great for us since we will be in NYC for the summer. Last year over labor day did the same 7 day on NCL, in a wonderful butler/concierge cabin, can't do same on RCCL since toooooo expensive. Best Joan & Leo

Archived