Clothing for Banff in mid-September

We will be in Banff mid-Sept. and since we are from Texas, I am having some difficulty deciding what clothing to bring. I am told that temps can really vary at that time of year, but I just need to know what are the basics you would bring such as rainwear, jacket, big coats (?), boots, tennis shoes, jeans, tees, etc. Thanks so much, gg

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I got married in the Canadian Rockies. We spent 9 days touring Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. The weather was very unpredictible. We had everything from sunny and 80 degrees to 30 degrees and a blizzard. I would definitely take a good pair of hiking boots and lots of layers.

Thank you both for your comments. Looks like my suitcase keeps getting fuller and fuller. Do ya'll think that tees, flannel shirts, jeans, wind suits, polar fleece jacket, and rain jacket with hood, and good shoes will be enough? Here in East Texas we never have need of a really heavy coat, so hate to invest in that. What do you think?? With a possible temperature variance of that much, it is difficult to plan. gg

Do ya'll think that tees, flannel shirts, jeans, wind suits, polar fleece jacket, and rain jacket with hood, and good shoes will be enough?

Sounds like you have our changing climate under control and it looks like your packing is on the right track. My suggestion is "layers". It is much easier to take clothes off when you are feeling warm. It can be very pleasant in September, however, it can just as easily be cold, wet and freezing. The only other thing I personally would add is a warm hat/toque for your head and a pair of warm gloves/mittens. These are so inexpensive that should you need them, you could purchase them along the way. A nice pair of thick socks will make a good pair of mittens if you are in need of keeping your hands warm!!

Enjoy your journey!

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

Mosquito spray and long sleeves and a hat. This is for when you go up on the Gondola.

I still have the scars from two years ago when I was on a tour of the Canadian Rockies.

Enjoy

synet165

NCL Star Alaska June 2005

NCL Dawn 4/06

Carnival Victory 8/12/06

Hi:

My big reminder is to take gloves or mitts. Walking about the woods or along the river bank gets cold on the hands. You should be fine with a texas winter jacket for most evenings. The higher you go, the colder you will be. Don't forget to take a swimsuit so that you can go to the Sulfur Mountain Hot Springs, and if you can, do go to the hot springs.

Enjoy your holiday in one of the prettiest places in Canada.

Thanks for all the good advice re: our trip in Sept. to Canada. It looks like we bring the same clothes as we take to Alaska. I would not have thought of the mosquito spray though. They are awful here in early morning and early evening - we really detest them, so of course I do have spray. Thanks again to each of you. I know this is going to be the trip of a lifetime - I gave my brother a kidney and he giving me a trip to Canada - life is good. gg

• 2 weeks later...

One more question - won't it just simplify matters to use my credit card almost exclusively when eating out or shopping ??? Seems like that would be easier than US dollars vs Canadian dollars, getting change etc. What do you Canadians think??? Thanks so much, gg

In the past I always used credit cards. Now the credit card companies tack 3 % on for the priviledge. But you generally get a very good exchange rate. What I have been doing is using my ATM card to get cash which comes out of my checking accounting with the same exchange rate but no 3% fee, and pay mostly in Canadian cash. Some large expenses I use the CC. Check your credit card as some don't charge the 3% fee or get one that doesn't. Capital one I think doesn't add the fee.

Credit cards are widely accepted in Canada and cash machines are readily available.

Sid

Major credit cards are accepted everywhere and would be your best bet for medium and large purchases. You would probably want to get some Canadian $$ for smaller items where you would not want to use a card - a pack of gum or a post card, for example.

Enjoy your trip. The scenery is absolutely wonderful.

• 4 weeks later...
Sure hope gg isn't visiting Banff right now!:eek:

Sure hope she listened to our suggestions and packed toques, mitts, gloves, lots of layers and warm socks.

Why you ask?

Because it is SNOWING! :eek: :eek:

Sandy

Sandy - I just returned late last night and it did snow on us - once up in the mountain passes on the way to the Icefields, then yesterday on our trip from Lake Louise to Calgary. We see sooo little snow here that it was a huge treat. Wonderful time. See my post I am about to do re: Canadians. :) gg

Archived