AK weather - Shiver, shiver; Squish, squish

ltsally

Just did a check of all ports on our 7/18 sailing and, through this coming week, it's the same everywhere: Highs in the upper 50s to low 60s; cloudy/partly cloudy/chance of showers.

Today, for instance, in Skagway, it's 54 - with 87 percent humidity.

Highest temp predicted for the coming week is 62-64

Sitka - isn't expected to get out of the high 50s.

Juneau - highest temp predicted is in low 60s.

Wrangell - well...you get the idea. No idea of AK weather patterns, or what the chances might be of 'a front' coming through later this week/earlier next week that might significantly change things.

But who cares! It's SS! It's away-from-day-to-day! It's de-lovely!;)

Heck of a lot different than two years ago...one of the hottest summers going back 20 years...Skagway was 91 degrees and smokey due to fires in the Yukon...we're sailing on the 28th out of SF...maybe the weather will improve, but if not, who cares!

We were on the roundtrip Vancouver voyage that left on 21 June, and while the weather was cloudy on most days (the days in Vancouver and first and last sea days were great) we only got rain for a few hours. If you are heading up to Sawyer Glacier and get as close as we did, you are in for quite a treat, clouds and all!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned on Saturday from a week onthe inside passage including Glacier Bay, Sitka, Juneau and Ketchikan. We had spectacular weather the entire time. Sunny, very warm, easily in the mid 70s each day with not a drop of rain the entire time. people in Sitka were wearing shorts and sleeveless. It was a beautiful trip and we were really blessed. So I'd say leave the woolens at home. Of course things could change, but it seemed that a real warm pattern was setting in.

Hi ltsally,

I was in Alaska between July 5-12. We had 3 days of some rain, clouds, fog and 50s & 60s. Three other days were sunny and 70s. I enjoyed them all as I knew at home it was 90s and hot, hot, hot. We had lovely weather all around. It didn't stop us from doing anything.

Beth

AirGorilla: Wasn't complaining, particularly. Just 'passing the word.'

Mainerjgc: Hard to think we were in the same Inside Passage! Sun was sparse on our Vancouver-San Francisco voyage (Sitka, 7/20-Prince Rupert 7/25), but given the choice of foggy and cool or sunny and hot, I'd take cool any day.

EZ99B5: Yep, we too got up close and personal with Sawyer G. It was breathtaking!

Archived