Weather Channel Storm Stories: Semester at Sea

robtx100

I just finished watching the Weather Channel's Storm Stories report on the MV Explorer, Semester at Sea ship. They were hit by a 50 ft wave a while back and show alot of footage shot live while the engines were down in rough seas. People litterally sliding on the floor from one side to the other. AMAZING!!! I had a girl who worked for me who went on Semester at Sea last year and didn't know this happened before.

It was really interesting, I thought. They show some great shots behind the scenes in the engine room as they tried to get the engines running again after the 50ft wall of water hit the ship.

beaming90..........I totally agree........too bad there isn't a channel just for cruising.....that would be soooooooooo cool.

Does anyone know where the Semester at Sea was going???? Where the storm happened?????? What time of year?

I remember they said Gulf of Alaska, but don't remember what time of year. Something about they ran right into 3 emerging storm systems. I will watch it again when it comes on, if for nothing else, to see the students sliding on the floor as the ship tilted. It looked like a carnival ride.

You can read more about it at the Semester at Sea Web Site...

We did a boat ride in HOng Kong last year on the oldest Star Ferry with some of the kids on the trip and their parents...The trip began in January and they hit bad weather immediately...(Why they were sailing in the north Pacific that time of year escapes me...) When the weather got really bad most had fortunately gotton their sea legs...The kids said everyone pulled together and became a real team...students..teachers and cruise staff...Eventually they ended up in Hawaii and realtively few students left the ship. They then proceeded on by plane. The ship got fixed and they were going to meet up with it the day after we saw them in Viet Nam.. AFter that the schedule got back to normal...

Archived