A few ?? about eating in Cozumel

FriedPickle

Hi - I think that might be a bit fat fetched. I agree don't drink the water....but eating is not a problem at all. I've been to Cozumel twice and both times have eaten at Carlos N Charlies as well as the little restaurants set up at the different beaches from the shore excursions. Never had any problems at all...as a matter of fact the food is authentic and delicious...so eat away without worries :)

Coz wouldn't be too great for tourists if all the food and drinks made people sick. If you stick to the places that use purified water and that are places tourists frequent, you will be fine. I've never been sick in Coz...

Don't drink the water. The beer is realy cheap anyway and it tastes much better.

As for food, we were directed to a restaraunt called La Mission where we had probably the best steak tacos of our lives. As an appetizer, we got their version of cheese quesadillas, which was basically a bowl of hot, melted cheese that we spread onto tortillas and then rolled up ourselves. I definitely recommend it!

Just got back from the Conquest on Sunday. During our stop in Cozumel, we ate at "Pancho's". It's located next the the Forum Shops. The food is great!! The margaritas were very good. I would probably do bottled water (or other beverage :) )

What I figure is the places that cater to tourists are going to make sure that people won't get sick from the food and water. Otherwise, they wouldn't get a whole lot of return customers.

That said, while I think it's important to be careful when you're traveling, I don't think it's necessary to be paranoid about stuff like that.

Thanks so much for your help...I figure I will be safe ordering can/bottle water or beer and skip the margarita...You need ice to make a margarita.

I don't want to take any chances...this is my first cruise and it's only 4 days so I sure don't want to spend any part of it sick.

Thanks so much for your help...I figure I will be safe ordering can/bottle water or beer and skip the margarita...You need ice to make a margarita.

I don't want to take any chances...this is my first cruise and it's only 4 days so I sure don't want to spend any part of it sick.

If you go to any of the touristy places or beaches, the water is FINE... if you try to go to an off the beaten path place, be careful and ask if their ice is made from purified water (there will usually be a sign telling you)... believe me, most of the places rely on tourist business, they use good water, for drinks and ice... as well as for washing vegetables for salads, etc. I have eaten and drank my way around Cozumel, without a worry.

Enjoy the Marg what is it going to the island and forgoing the rita.. just not right!! Enough tourists venture there you will be fine.... :)

Most tourist restaurants will have a reverse osmosis statement on the menu. Just look or ask for it and you will be fine. I have been to Cozumel many times and never a problem with water or food.

Fried - As you can see, nobody seems to have a problem with the food on Cozumel.:) I've been there more times than I care to remember, both on cruises and land vacations. I LOVE the food, and have never had any problem whatsoever. My favorite restaurant is Pancho's Backyard. I prefer the one at the Puerta Maya Pier (which is no longer there), but I don't know if the restaurant survived Rita.

I take a bottle of water off the ship with me. However, I always have margaritas. Hey, the tequila should kill all bacteria, right? Really, though, none of the restaurants would take the chance of getting a bad rep from serving bad food or ice. MOST of them have signs saying they use purified water for cooking, as well as for their ice.

Having the local cuisine is part of the great adventure of traveling. Enjoy!

Oh - and you CAN go back to the ship for lunch, y'know, then go back on the island.

We've eaten a few times at Palmeras in Coz, right across the street from the ferry terminal. Drank sodas or beer with the meals so don't know about the water. Combo Fajita plate was excellent. Enjoy

Just off the Inspiration, went to Passion Island, the tour guide told us it is true, do not drink the water, but most of the tourist places have purified water, we went to Passion Island, and he told us the water there was fine to drink......by the way, Passion Island is coming along beautifully, water gorgeous, food and drinks really good. ;)

Archived