How Does Kid's Club Handle Special Needs?

Couponluvr

We're booked for the GP 12/2/06 Western Caribbean with our 8yr old who has AS. Has anyone travelled with a child that has AS and how has the staff in the kid's club handled their child's needs? We're concerned we'll get paged within an hour (as we did on Disney) and won't have any "alone" time...

My son is now 16 and has AS. We have been on two cruises with him. The key I found is to prepare, prepare and no surprises. We downloaded pictures of the decks of our ships, practiced mentally walking from room to kids club. We studied the ship and downloaded pictures of the room, kids club and most of the ships. Both lines we traveled on were great with the AS aspect. The first day on the ship, we had a small conference with the head staff and did a basic run through on AS and what to expect. The first cruise our son was 10 and I worried about him. I would go to the kids room every couple of hours and the staff had no problems and he never wanted to leave the center.

The second cruise was at 15 and we did the same prep work and he did fine. Your know our Aspies, they like to know as much as possible ahead and time and have that comfort zone.

Nancy

Thanks for the input Nancy. Does your son have social skills deficiencies? Did he handle the large, loud groups of kids well? That's where we're having the problems. My son would want to leave after an hour because of too much overstimulation from the activities going on. I wonder if we call Princess ahead of time if they would have someone who has experience with AS or similar onboard to help out?

Thanks for the input Nancy. Does your son have social skills deficiencies? Did he handle the large, loud groups of kids well? That's where we're having the problems. My son would want to leave after an hour because of too much overstimulation from the activities going on. I wonder if we call Princess ahead of time if they would have someone who has experience with AS or similar onboard to help out?

Julie

Archived