ROLL CALL: Johann Strauss April 28. 2007 Amsterdam to Budapest

mediaman

Hi everybody;

I'll be taking this trip as my first European River Cruise with Gate 1. I've heard both good and bad about them. I'll be positive!

My past travels include numerous motorcoach and ocean cruises. I am familiar with Amsterdam, Melk and Budapest but the other river ports will be new to me.

If anyone is planning this same cruise, it would be interesting to know. ( I know that it's a bit early but air reservations and cabin spaces are filling fast... especially for single cabin reservations!)

One question: I would like to go from Cologne (Koln) to Wuppertal for the day in port. How easy or hard can that be? Are trains the only quick transport? My interest is to spend some time on the Schwebebahn (elevated monorail) in the river valley. Is there a day pass that I can buy on the monorail in Wuppertal or Barmen or nearby?

Any other good suggestions are also appreciated and shared. Thank you.

Hi Mediaman,

Cologne to Wuppertal is about 45km and takes less than an hour to drive. It appears that local trains take about the same time and express trains about 33 minutes. Train fares seem to be between 20-30 Euro ($25-37 US) EACH WAY! You can probably rent a car for less!

The Schwebebahn is interesting but I don't know if I would go to all of that trouble to ride it. It only runs a single route so you don't need a day pass. You can ride it round trip on a single ticket. I don't recall the cost as it has been several years since I rode on it. Opinion offered FWIW!

Clarence:)

A correction to the above. Rail Europe website indicated 20-30 Euro but then Rail Europe is probably the MOST EXPENSIVE way to buy a rail ticket. After checking on DB Rail (DeutschesBahn) it appears that a 2nd Class ticket can be purchased for 12 Euro each way - far more reasonable. Also, there are tidy discounts for seniors if you fit that description but you must ask for them to get them.

It also appears that the route is served by many local trains almost to the extent of being a commuter route so it appears that getting there and back will not be a great problem, especially if you have all day.

Clarence:)

Archived