Confused about cayman time!

txwildflower2002

Okay, we leave out of Texas, which is CST. Caymans does not observe daylight savings time. We have a tour at 9:30 and are to be ashore at 8:30~don't know why an hour early, but what time will be on our watches? Will we have to be on the pier at 9:30 Texas time to go on a 10:30 tour? Thanks!

Some ships change time, some don't - it is all up to the Captain! What I would do is ask your excursion operator what time the ship usually anchors. Since the same ships come in week after week, they should know this. They should be able to answer your question.

(I am assuming you are taking an independent excursion.) If you are taking a ship's excursion, it will be on ship's time.

when is your cruise?

In the summer time, when most of the US is operating on Daylight Savings time... Cayman time = Houston time.

In the winter time, when all of the US is operating on Standard Time... Cayman time = Miami time.

So, if your cruise is set to depart from a Central Time Zone port during the summer... I would assume that the ship will stay on CST and Cayman time = ship time. Easy.

If your cruise is set to depart a Central Time Zone port during the winter... again assuming that the ship will stay on CDT, Cayman time is one hour later than ship time. In that case... a 9:30am Cayman time tour leaves at 8:30 Texas time.

I am also very confused in regard to this time thing. On

Capt. Marvin's sight it says that GC is on Eastern Time

year around so wouldn't that make a ship on Central time

one hour behind? Ex: If we dock at 7:00 ship time then

wouldn't the actual time on GC be 8:00? Like wise if the

ship is scheduled to leave on the ship time of 4:00 then

in GC time that would be actually 5:00. It would actually

be nice to know if the Conquest changed times in GC or

not? Does anyone know if it does?

I think the Conquest stays on Central time...but it's best to hear from someone who has been on that ship.

If you travel April-Oct (I'm not sure about the exact months or days this changes)...

But if you leave out of the Eastern zone, say Miami-then island time will be one hour ahead of ship time (8:00 ship-7:00 island).

If you leave from Central zone between April and Oct., the island time and ship time will be the same.

Now if you travel between Oct-April and you leave from the Eastern zone, then ship time and island time will be the same.

If you leave from the Central zone, ship time will be an hour behind island time (8:00 ship-7:00 island).

Whew...I hope I am right! Drew's post is shorter and more to the point of what I am trying to say. :)

One thing to remember is that these tour companies know what the ships are doing and what time they will be in port. It's their business. I don't recall ever reading a post where someone said the tour company goofed on the time.

We've used Captain Marvin's twice, and on our cruise, Joan and Ruth knew exactly what was going on and told us which tour we would be able to make it to. Have a great time!

Drew is one lucky dude to be able to live on Grand Cayman...I am so JEALOUS! :)

Someone posted the Caper's from the Conquest last month. On the front page before going to Jamaica, it stated to set your clocks and watches ahead 1 hour and to set them back the night before Cozumel. It depends what time of the year as stated by drew.

Yes, it really does pay to try and find the Caper's and see what they do. We were on the Triumph and we were told to stay on ship time, not change our watches to island time. It was no big deal in Jamaica and Gc, since island time and ship time was the same (we cruised over New Year's and left out of Miami), but with Cozumel, island time was an hour behind ship time. It's interesting that they do different things within a cruiseline. You'd think they'd all be uniform in what they do, but I guess they aren't.

But the tour operators know all this. They do this every day of the week. :)

Archived