Auto-Tipping for a baby

mrbill62

Hebejeebe - This is an erroneous thought -"As for taking up a seat that would have been occupied by an adult that really doesn't make any sense. Another adult would not be in the same cabin as the parents so there is no such adult- only the 15month old".

While you are correct in assuming that a regular adult would not be occupying the spot of a 15 month old in theirs parents cabin, there are a certain numbers of "beds", or headcount on any given cruise. By a child occupying a third passenger spot in a cabin, it is in fact taking away one "bed" another passenger could purchase in another room as a third passenger. So they are in fact using the spot that could also be used for one paying adult fare.

This may seem like a little thing, but I guarentee you, the cruise lines use this "bed" count as the end all be all of the number allowed on board. It is for life vest and saftey boat purposes. The "bed" count is a finite number - for example, say a little one was #2400 onboard, there could be not be a #2401 if #2400 was the max capacity. (Those are obvioulsy fake numbers, but you get the idea). Kids are valued as people on board, as they should be, You just cant add an extra one into a cabin with the rationalization that they arent eating the same food.

When my DD, her DH and their 2.9 year old took their first cruise, she was a little put off my having an auto tip for the kiddo. Well, the kid was so well taken care of, adored, doted on, catered too, danced with, cleaned up after, special menued etc, that not only did she leave the auto tip in place, the Cabin steward and the dining staff got quite a bit EXTRA!

Now this is the smart way to do it. Excellent suggestion, Sponge. I think most passengers will end up leaving the auto tip on when they see how hard the staff works. If this is not the case, then adjust accordingly. That option is always there, so why not leave it open instead of making this decision in advance?

That's why I didn't say a word when my DD mentioned that she thought full tipping for a 2.9 year old was a bit much. It was her first cruise, I knew what the service would be like, and I also knew that she would do the right thing!

Hebejeebe - This is an erroneous thought -"As for taking up a seat that would have been occupied by an adult that really doesn't make any sense. Another adult would not be in the same cabin as the parents so there is no such adult- only the 15month old".

While you are correct in assuming that a regular adult would not be occupying the spot of a 15 month old in theirs parents cabin, there are a certain numbers of "beds", or headcount on any given cruise. By a child occupying a third passenger spot in a cabin, it is in fact taking away one "bed" another passenger could purchase in another room as a third passenger. So they are in fact using the spot that could also be used for one paying adult fare.

This may seem like a little thing, but I guarentee you, the cruise lines use this "bed" count as the end all be all of the number allowed on board. It is for life vest and saftey boat purposes. The "bed" count is a finite number - for example, say a little one was #2400 onboard, there could be not be a #2401 if #2400 was the max capacity. (Those are obvioulsy fake numbers, but you get the idea). Kids are valued as people on board, as they should be, You just cant add an extra one into a cabin with the rationalization that they arent eating the same food.

I thought a 15month old would be in a crib of some sort not a bed. In any case, you aren't going to change my opinion. I think the OP can decide based upon the services provided whether to tip at the suggested amount or adjust it up or down as they see fit. If they feel that their infant got great service then keep the tips as set. If not, then they can decide to reduce the tips. My kids are all older and we always tip the recommended amount. But, I wouldn't think it improper for the OP to tip less than the full amount for the 15month old. I certainly would not go around calling them cheap for doing so. Just my 2 cents.

Trust me, I am not trying to change your opinion! I have been married long enough to know you cant change peoples minds very easily! All I was trying to do was explain the reasoning of counting a child as a "full passenger", for lack of a better term. Whether they are in a crib, in a bed, on the floor, or in the tub (!) it still counts as a person onboard for the capacity numbers. I am not sure if you have ever had a crib in a stateroom (not sure how old you kids are), but I have with my neice, and let me tell you, the room steward deserves their entire tip just for that alone! It is terribly inconvienent for them, and it slows down their work. That combined with my neices dirty diapers and the Cheerios we couldnt pick out of the carpet, and AT THE END of the cruise, we personally felt the staff deserved the auto tip and more in cash.

Also, something to consider, becasue a child is not consuming alcohol, and buying jewelry and sundries in the gift shop, ect. that is revenue lost by the cruise line. That is probably a whole other argument towards whether children should pay the same fares as adults (they should, IMO). But the alcohol aspect can applied towards the tipping issue, one less adult purchasing tippable beverages for the tip pool.

One last thing, if you are parent requesting the baby food the cruise line will provide for your with your cruise fare, ~IMO~, you MUST keep the auto tip on. Again, I have done this with my neice, and it is not easy! They have to go way out of their way, every meal, to get the jars out of the pantry cooler and bring it to you. And they usually do it with a smile for your little one!

Archived