Whale Watch--Halifax NS or Bar Harbour (First Wk of Sept)

jo-v

unfortunately no one can guarentee the seeing of whales. i have seen many in juneau on my alaskan cruises and cant get enough of seeing them. since i will be in halifax, i have choosen to do the whale watching tour with murphy's on the water. it is about $35 american money and im sure it will be a great tour. even if i dont see whales i am sure too see other sea and wildlife from the boat. on a post i did awhile back about being there the 2nd week of sept and if whales would be around then a reply was that they will be abundant then. i hope they will be. have fun and i hope you see many whales on your tour.

have a great cruise, music

We did tours in both ports last september. In Bar Harbor, we enjoyed VERY close encounters with 2 humpbacks, although the boat was large and crowded. We also saw a few harbor porpoise...we had cold and foggy weather here, but the crew was quite good at spotting wildlife in spite of this.

In Halifax, we actually took a tour that combined a boat trip to Peggy's Cove (looking for whales along the way) with a bus trip back. We didn't see the fin whales that had been spotted the day before, but did see a large pod of pilot whales and dolphins...close and wonderful looks from a smaller boat with wonderful viewing. I don't think that humpbacks are quite as reliable in Halifax as they are in Bar Harbor, but other species (such as fin whales) are quite common. Overall it was a great trip, and had the entire tour been devoted to whale watching, our chances of spotting the fin whales might have been better (but we would have missed Peggy's Cove, which was beautiful).

i truley love the whales and the hunt for me is just as exciting. as i said before i am going to have a great time even if i only spot a tail or two. they are magnificent to see and i will enjoy the boat ride no matter what happens. i am really looking forward to this tour. im glad you had a great time too. music

Archived