Cruising Peaks and Valley for kids

I'm a fairly inexperienced cruiser. Only been on one cruise and this had a Jan 2 departure date. There was a very full ship (Mariner of the Seas). I will say that the # of kids on board was barely noticable. I think they said there was something like 3600 people on board.

We are now booked for a cruise on Jan 28 (again the Mariner of the Seas). This seems to be a 'holiday-less' time of year. Will there be less children on-board. In fact, will this cruise even be fully booked?

Just looking for a little feedback from people that have tried different times of year.

Thanks in advance

At that time of year, you will find very FEW children on board (there will always be SOME, some kids are in year-round schools, some parents take their kids out of school for trips, and there is always the pre-school crowd).

But overall, you should find it overall NOT a crowded cruise and relatively few kids/teens aboard. The Mariner is a GREAT ship, and even cruising during high season, I have not honestly felt that there were TOO many kids or it was TOO crowded onboard.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

January would be a great time to cruise because students are just returning to school after winter break. Other good times would be weeks before or after breaks such as the week before Thanksgiving week or the week right after Labor Day. I think parents are less likely to take kids out of school when they've just been off. Another good week would be the week beefore Memorial Day when kids are preparing for final tests.

I haven't sailed during any of those times, but I work in a school district and kids are less likely to be gone during those times. Of course, some parents take their kids out of school whenever they want to travel.

Mel

The times that you will find more children on board are during the summer, holiday weeks (ie Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) and during the school winter/spring break (mid-February through the end of April). I will say that we cruised during our children's spring break (last week of April) twice and while there were a lot of children on board, I didn't feel the ship was overun with kids.

Last year we went the day after thanksgiving and there was only 380 kids. The week before we sailed had 850 kids. This year we are going to go the week before christmas. We do not mind the kids we are taking our 9 year old daughter.

Voyager Western Caribbean 12/16/06 "Our First AFT"

Voyager Eastern Caribbean 11/05

S.S. Azure Seas Baja 11/90

Archived