Russia Waterways

joek

joek, I am so glad you had a good time on the Tikhi Don. We did not choose our entree and dessert the day before in May, they must have decided it would really save on food to cook only what people wanted.

Sorry about the colds, luckily we did not have that problem.

Thanks for the review!

Joek,

Glad you had a great time and nice weather. How cold was it though? Thanks for the mini review.

I just booked GCT for Russia next June....hope to catch the "white nights".

On Viking this past Aug. they asked us our entree choice the evening before, we found that odd, but could change that evening if we wanted too.

The reason I booked with GCT was for the stays in the hotels, so thanks for confirming my decision. So many of the other river cruise companies were tempting. I really had a difficult time deciding. My favorites were Uniworld for the extra days, Amadeus for the cost, and Amadeus and Vantage and for the intineraries. Viking was not long enough, so not in the running.

Hope you don't mind me asking and maybe this was addressed before but I have read so many threads, tour sights and bochures these last few days my mind is spinning. Did you do the good buy with GTC?

Thanks,

Carol,

You pay off your trip in full with cash (they prefer a electronic withdrawal) and then you get a discount.

I have read quite a bit on the boards and I am sure you have too, that have addressed GCT business practices when it comes to cancellations.

Have you been to Russia before I am looking forward to this trip?

We did prepay this trip, though we usually don't. We booked this a year in advance and saved almost $500 each. Luckily we have not had any problems with GCT.

The weather was cool in St Petersburg and northern Russia, turned warmer as we sailed down to Moscow. Definitely a casual dress cruise, maybe a third of the passengers changed to dresses/jackets for the Captains Welcome and Farewell Dinners.

Hi Lori,

No I did not pay in advance. I had heard horror stories about GCT if you cancel or they cancel. I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

I took this trip in May and loved it. I paid with a credit card which gives you a bit of protection. If I were to pay in advance I think I would pay with one of those credit card checks they send you every now and then as it would probably give you some protection. I am going to do the same with the 2007 trip.

Joek or Carol,

How does GCT handle the optionals? Do you select them before you leave or on the first day(s) of the trip?

Carol, did you do air with GCT, this May? And if so what was your route?

Did you get hit with a fuel surcharge before or after final payment?

That is what I dislike when you book so far out.... additonal charges added on and the thing with GCT is after final payment if you paid by credit card they state they will still nail you. Other land and river cruise companies I have dealt with do not have that policy. So basically they want your cash up front. They seem to be a financally solvent company...and I sure like their brochures..but their cash flow I just wonder??????? Anyway, I will take out my own travel insurance and if I decide to do the good buy, just hope I don't have to cancel.

Carol, I would be very cautious about using one of those checks that they stick in your credit card bill in place of just charging it. I believe that you MUST use the credit card to get the protections of the Federal law dealing with undelivered purchases. This isn't the bank's idea -- it is a law. My recollection is that it provides only 60 days from receipt of the merchandise or payment of the bill to make a claim so that wouldn't do you much good (if I am correct) in paying for a trip that isn't going to happen for quite some time. Also, those checks are just a cash withdrawal against your credit line and have no grace period, meaning that interest starts to run at a large number from the date that the check is negotiated. Be careful!

I know that it isn't a savings but if you do utilize the early payment discount and use the savings to purchase insurance that covers monetary default of the carrier (the Seller) you will probably come out close to even and still protect yourself from increases before departure. Make sense?

Clarence:)

Hi Lori, land lover and Clarence,

I used their air from JFK to Moscow and St. Petersburg to JFK. It was cheaper to get our own domestic flights, also we wanted a day in NYC. As I recall they flew us Delta from JFK to Moscow and coming back from St. Petersburg to Paris on Air France (you can't get to the states from St. Petersburg I believe, very small airport). Paris to JFK on United. Their flights weren't bad. This year I am splurging and using almost all my miles for business/first class round trip. I booked the 2007 trip at the end of May.

They did charge us $44.00 after final payment for fuel. However, I heard that other River Boat Cruises were charging a fuel surcharge of about $5.00 a day.

Clarence what you say about the credit card checks sounds right. I have never used one of them. I think I will just stick with the credit card, (now I need the miles!).

We signed up for the optional tours after we got there. I don't remember anyone being left out. Actually we usually hired a cab to get us around, at least in Moscow and St. Petersburg. For 2 it was a lot less expensive and more convenient. Sometimes the driver didn't speak English but we just wrote down where we wanted to go gave it to the boat staff and they arranged the fee and told the driver where we wanted to go, they also called the cab company.

I don't think our tour on the 17th of May is sold out, I called about it and they said they were just trying to push people to other dates. That was a while back so maybe it is sold out now.

land lover, I always take out insurance(see 'insuremytrip.com) they have a bunch of companies. Just never use the insurance of the line you are traveling with. If they belly up you are out of luck. Also on the trip in May there was a man that hurt his knee and the doctor aboard said he should travel back home in Business Class, GCT Insurance refused to pay for it. I don't know what another insurance company would do but if something is medically necessary I believe it is covered.

CAROL, Yes, last year almost very trip we took we got an added fuel charge I doubt if this year will be the same. On viking they charged us the $5, per per per day. On Globus if I would have done air with them it was 152pp.

re: air I had the same thoughts, but instead of NY. flying into Boston, which we love, but then thought that would involve to many days off work since our tour leaves on a Thursday.

Well aren't you lucky getting to use miles to fly business class. This summer I was finally able to use miles on a trip to Europe, it was only one ticket but I was so jazzed...the miles just don't seem to work for trips and times I select, also I don't plan that far in advance.

I have used insuremytrip and have been pleased. We used Travelex for a RCI cruise we went on in May, my sister came down with strep and ended up with a 1600. yes, that is correct 1600. dollar bill they gave her 3 IV drips...Travelex paid very cent. My comment always pick an insurance that is primary on all coverages.

I want to hear more about your recent trip to Russia have you been there more than once?

Your trip isn't even listed on the web sight but I see it in the brochure what gives?

Night,

Re GCT Prepay Plan and optional trips

Full payment has to be by check, not credit card. You get the savings and there will be no added costs.

No need to book optional trips before. Usually the list is given to you when you arrive and they ask that it be returned that evening.

Tban,

Glad you had great weather...when you say the trip surpassed your expectations, what do you mean?

I looked at the Tolstoy and it not only looked like a nice boat, but the itinerary really sounded great.Also your discount, good for you. What did you enjoy most? Would you return?

Hi Lori, I we certainly liked the itinerary. But the most memorable feature of our trip were the Russsian people we met. Very friendly, curious about us and eager to tell about themselves. The crew on the Tolstoy is the friedliest and most helpful we ever encountered. We have been on European river cruise before (also with Amadeus) and the food on these ships was really good. We were told that this would not be the case in Russia. However the meals on the Tolstoy exeeded our expectations. They were not as refined and sofisticated - more homely but were tasty and beautifully presented. Generally speaking our expectations of Russia were low (food, people, service etc.) and everything was much better than we envisioned it. Would I return --- propably not --- there are a lot of other places I would go first.

Tban,

Glad you had great weather...when you say the trip surpassed your expectations, what do you mean?

I looked at the Tolstoy and it not only looked like a nice boat, but the itinerary really sounded great.Also your discount, good for you. What did you enjoy most? Would you return?

Hi Lori, I we certainly liked the itinerary. But the most memorable feature of our trip were the Russsian people we met. Very friendly, curious about us and eager to tell about themselves. The crew of the Tostoy was the friendliest and most helpful we ever encountered. We have been on European river cruises before (with Amadeus) and the food on these ships is very good and sophisticated. We were told that this will not be the case in Russia. However the food on the Tolstoy exeeded our expectations, it was not fancy, more home-made in style but very tasty and beautifully presented. We did not expect Russian standards to be for example like western Europe's. And again we were surprised how good the service was, the food and the quality of the program. would I return -- most likely not -- there are many other places I would like to go first

Archived