Bringing own snorkel gear?

Katiebug227

I'm pretty sure that this is a silly question, but DH and I are experienced snorkelers. We have our own equipment, and want to bring at least mask and snorkel with us on our Western Caribbean cruise next spring (exact itinerary TBD today or tomorrow - either option is on Carnival). Will any of the tour people have a problem if we bring our own gear? I don't mind paying the rental fee for fins and a vest. The thought of using a snorkel that has been chewed on by tens or hundreds of other people, even when cleaned, skeeves both of us out. And I tend to be very picky about the fit of my mask...I wear contacts even in the water and I don't like leaky masks that I have to purge constantly. We figured it was easier to just bring part of our gear.

Most of my snorkeling has been in small lakes in New England and the Great Lakes (believe it or not), although I did some snorkeling from the beach in Florida once. We're looking forward to warm water and good visibility. ;)

One other item: Most of the pictures of snorkelers that I see on tour company websites and whatnot show the typical "floating on the surface looking down" activity - which is fine, but we're former competitive swimmers and I was a lifeguard for several years and we're very, very comfortable in the water. We snorkel as "dive buddies", never alone, because usually we're the only two people snorkeling, so doing this as a group and with someone in charge is totally unknown. ;) Will the guides have a problem with us diving down to look at interesting things?

We thought about getting our PADI scuba certifications, but our work schedules leading up to the cruise are pretty different, plus the open water dives would have to happen in the middle of a New England winter. :eek: And we really don't want to make this a "dive" cruise, although we would like to snorkel at least twice. I've done the PADI Discover Scuba program a few times and loved it. Maybe for our next cruise. ;)

There is no problem bringing your own snorkeling gear. Many people do. The fins and masks available on the tours are included in the price. I always bring everything with me including fins. One thing that most tours require is that you wear a life jacket/vest. They are provided also.

There is no problem diving down. The guides are fine with this.

Enjoy ! :)

One issue you may want to consider is the life vest you will be forced to wear. Unless its the blow up snorkle vest kind, you will have difficulty diving. I have seen some of the tour operators use the fixed water ski type vest which keep you afloat and you cannot get under the surface. You may want to bring your own vests or invest in them if you don't have them. The vests don't take up much room in your luggage, nor do they weigh a lot.

One other item. Bring a good SPF 30 or better, water proof sun block and make sure you apply it to your ears. Ever seen sunburned ears on a person???:D Tropical sun can really do a job on your skin if you are not used to it.

Happy bubbles

Good to know we can bring our own stuff. :) Definitely masks and snorkels, probably vests, and possibly fins as well.

We have snorkel vests; we usually don't use them but we'll probably be bringing them just in case. I don't want to be stuck on the surface with a PFD on.

I've had nasty, nasty sunburn on the tops of my ears in the past. One ear burned badly enough that I had to see a doctor (severe 2nd degree that didn't heal nicely). I learned my lesson well after that unfortunate experience. We're both pale and neither of us like pre-trip tanning, so we generally stay slathered in SPF30 for the entire trip. :D That's good advice that bears repeating, though!

Of course bring your own stuff! They will even let you clean your stuff in their fresh water baths. I am not sure they require you to wear vests but it is possible, I just cannot remember. I have never seen any PFD's other than the inflatable vests, either.

The only time I was REQUIRED to wear fins was in Nassau. Did Stuart Coves excursion and if you wanted to do the shark thing which is why I went, you must wear fins. I could not think of why you MUST, until I got in the water and the current is EXTREMELY powerful where they do this. There is a buoy line you must hold on to also.

The fins they give are not the best. I am buying a set this week for our upcoming cruise. Tore up my toe with the last trip.

Dive down to see something? No problem ever. You do not have to stick that close to the dive master usually. But sometimes they know where to look for stuff they know is there.

Definitely bring your own gear - if you have it, bring it. if you have the inflatable vests, bring them too. they all require it, but it does not have to be inflated. gives me the creeps to wear those nasty wet stinky things. they also dont have a problem with anyone free diving - just dont touch. have a great time!!

Archived