Camp Carnival Question

fnelson99

I have spent MANY hours reading, and reading, but still would like to ask one question. We are going on our 3rd Carnival cruise, which is leaving in a week, with our DD who is 9. We are going on the Celebration 5 night and we are a bit nervous about her signing herself out if CC - in fact, her daddy says no way and I agree. I trust her not to sign herself out as she is very well behaved, but someone said the scavenger hunts required that. How did other parents handle that and I would love to hear about anyone elses experiences on the Celebration or other ship with the 9-11 year old program. She definitely will not want to stop down to the 8 year olds so that is not an option! Opinions, thoughts, etc..... I was also thinking that God forbid should something happen on a Carnival ship like happened on the Princess ship how many parents would know where there 9-11 year olds were if they can sign themselves out. That sounds like a total nightmare to me.

First a little background: my son just turned 11 on our last cruise and this was the 8th cruise for him (5th on Carnival).

I *think* you can choose whether or not to let the sign themselves in/out. It's on the form you fill out at the orientation meeting. So, if you do say, "no", then she can't do the scavenger hunt. With the hunt, they aren't alone--they work together in groups. One of my son's groups had five in it. I think it only happens once, so you could always plan "family time" so she wouldn't feel uncomfortable if the other kids got to do it and she didn't.

When they sign out, they have to put where they are going.

We used signing out as a privilege. If there was any problem, he wasn't where he said he was or was late, we would be the ones checking him in and out. At night (10pm or after), they cannot sign themselves out regardless.

We also put a dry-erase board our door to help further communication among all of us.

It was great on Carnival Spirit. Camp Carnival was on deck 5 forward, as was our cabin. We were probably only 15 doors down from the playroom.

That's true if something happened like on the Princess, you might not know where, say, your 9-yr. old is, or your 15-yr. old, or spouse. Discuss with your child what to do. She should always be wearing her muster station wrist band, so you should all be united if there was a serious emergency.

When I think about my 2 yr. old in Camp Carnival with 20 others kids in her age group, plus the 6-8 age group in the same area, would she be so much better off then the older child? I don't know.

Ultimately, only you and your hubby knows what's best for your daughter.

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. You are right in that it just has to be a decision we make, but it just seems so hard!! Thank you for sharing your experience and what worked for you. I know that we will make the right decision when the time comes!!

Thanks. :) Yes, it is a hard decision. They get to that age where they want independence, but still are so naive about the world around them.

Also, it never hurts to go over basic safety on a ship. I remind my son it's like a little floating city, and sometimes, bad things can happens. No playing or joking around the railings. Don't go in someone elses cabin. The crew can be dangerous, too (my son is a pretty trusting kid). And so on.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Like Lisa said, what ever you and your DH decide. All of our kids go to Camp Carnival. They all have Walkie-Talkies. The rule for the older ones is, if you leave camp, priority #1 is call in. If you don't get an answer, walk to the center of the ship and try again. Keep trying until you reach someone.

They also have a good idea where to find us in the event of complete radio failure.

We have an 8, 10, 12 and 13 year old. WE also have rules about the cabin. NO guests! And no going into anyone elses cabin. You leave that Camp, you better check in, because if I check in at the Camp, and find you left an hour ago? I hope you like the cabin or the company of your parents, because they will only see on or the other if they break the rules.

Make rules, keep them and the kids will be safe and have a good time.

vincenzo:)

• 3 weeks later...

We are from the UK - haven't heard about people using walkie talkies before - do they work? Where do you get them - are these toy shop quality - or better? What frequencies are allowed on board (some are not allowed in the UK as they interfere with emergency services - have do not use outside the UK written on the back)

Please advise?

Archived