Chosing Excursions

I just wanted to make a note to anyone thinking about taking excursions. On our excursion in Athens, we had a woman on the bus with us who obviously paid no attention to the parameters of the excursion. It stated very plainly in the guide that there was walking and climbing involved in getting to the Parthenon. She began complaining the moment she got on the bus about how far a walk the bus was from the ship (it was in the loading zone outside of the terminal...where all the busses were). Once we got to the Olympic Stadium, she began complaining about having to go to the bathroom, and that she didn't want to go stand in line at the Stadium with everyone else. She then proceeded to spend the entire drive from the stadium to the Parthenon 1: obsessing over having to go to the bathroom and 2: telling her husband that she hoped he wasn't going to climb to the top of the Parthenon because the climb was too much for her and she just wanted to stay on the bus.

She did none of the quietly. She was very out of shape and could not walk 10 feet without having to stop. There was no doubt in my mind she was incapable of participating in the excursion as it had been described in the RCCL excursion booklet.

Royal Carribean is pretty clear in their excursion information as to how much exhertion is going to be expended on each trip. There are excursions for pretty much every kind of person, from the true athlete to the infirmed who just want a bus tour. If you are going to book an excursion, PLEASE pay attention to the description, and be realistic as to your abilities. I actually lost 6 pounds on the cruise from the excursions I took, but I am also in pretty decent shape.

Just my one pet peeve from the cruise on the Brilliance. Other than that, it was great fun!

Yeah, we got the impression that she is not much for happiness. We felt so bad for her poor husband....he kept trying to shush her and keep her quiet, but nothing the poor man said or did would help. Plus, he had to interrupt his tour to keep her company...you could tell he had been looking forward to going up to the Parthenon.

Oh well.....

Archived