need feedback on formal dresses

tl&kcl

Hi, I am leaving on my first cruise in 13 days on the Carnival Miracle. I need advice on formal night. Here are the two dresses I own. I am wearing the white one for my wedding in a few days. I want to wear it one formal night but I want to wear something else the other night so all our pics (wedding and cruise) don't have the same dress. What do you think of the black dress? I like the way it fits my (not small) belly and my DH-to-be likes it but I am concerned that it is too outdated. I am 40-ish and short but not skinny.

Here is the link to the pics. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wilams6/album?.dir=8748re2

thanks, tina

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Personally, I think the black dress will be fine for formal night. While it's not a style I would wear, if it fits your personal style and you and your fiance like it, I'd say go for it. If you don't really want to wear it and have a little time (I know it's difficult with the wedding coming up!), then you can always go and see if you can find something you like better. Bottom line, I think the black dress is dressy enough for formal night.

P.S. Enjoy the Miracle! Mom and I are going to book ours on the Miracle sometime in the next month or so hopefully!

I really did like it until I started looking here at all the beautiful dresses everyone else is wearing. I am just mostly concerned that is is too outdated or old fashioned. I really don't have the time or $$ to shop before the cruise so my only other option would be to wear the white one both nights and I really don't want to do that. I concentrated on spending my budget on nicer casual clothes I can get a lot more wear out of.

thanks again.

tina

I think that a lot of that matters on personal style. If you want something more glamourous, it couldn't hurt to spend a couple hours and go out to your local mall (a lot of stores are having sales right now!) and see if you can find something that you love. Mom and I found dresses at Dillards on sale really cheap.

Or if you want to wear the white one both nights, you can wear different shoes and add a different colored wrap or different jewelry and wear your hair differently. If you add a metallic wrap for the second night, people would never know it was the same dress.

If you truly asking for an honest opinion... then you will get one::o

I personally think the dress is dated.

That's the sum of it.

However, I have found it does not necessarily take a lot of money or time to find a great dress, and I understand where you are coming from.

I think you could do a lot better... and would definately try. It sounds like this is a special occasion ( Congrats BTW!!!) and you should feel special.

Look on Ebay or at sale racks...

If you are already worried, that is a red flag on the field.:(

Don't settle....;)

Add a classic shawl/stole and some flashy costume jewelry and perhaps a tiny hat with feathers ...camp the dress up to vintage .. instead of dated .. the important thing is that you are comfortable with it.

What do you think of the black dress? I like the way it fits my (not small) belly and my DH-to-be likes it but I am concerned that it is too outdated.

Hey Tina!

So, consider me your "Metrosexual Eye for the Straight Girl".;)

(Lord help me, I have to know all about cutting edge fashion for my job).:(

Here's the deal with that dress and your situation specifically...

If you are comfortable in that black dress, and your future husband likes you in it, then wear it. (own it and work it!)

If you are thinking that anything is "outdated" on it, it could be the "puffy 80s sleeves".

Well guess what?

There are quite a few major designers that just showed those same sleeves on their runway shows. Exact same.

So, it's back in cutting edge designer fashion.

And God Bless all of these fashion threads, it's a cruise!

99% of the people are NOT fashionistas!

They won't care.

If it fits you well, and you are comfortable, and your DF likes the way you look in it, then wear it!

And you are on Carnival (which bear in mind I am a big Carnival expert and fan), so you will look better than a lot of people on board.

You are fine with that.

Wear it proudly, take pictures, and enjoy your cruise!

CJW

Hm. You can also change the dress a bit if you take it to the alterationist. Perhaps a change in the sleeve and neckline would do wonders with it. Maybe take off the sleeves or a cap sleeve? Have the neck changed into a v-neck if possible?

The white with a different wrap might also work. People looking at the photos side by side will notice but everyone else won't. Besides, how many gentlemen take two suits?

Archived