Need advice from cruise guru's

When we finally got around to booking an Alaskan cruise (Sun Princess, Aug. 9, Vancouver to Whittier) it was sold out. However we got on a "reservre or standby" list. Well we are # 14 overall but have been #14 for a month now. But they say on some lists we're #2 :confused: . Not sure how this all works but we're getting nervous as our origional plan was to spend some time in Alaska after the cruise and need to try and make other arrangments etc.

They've "indicated" that we've got a pretty good chance of getting an inside cabin (of course we'd REALLY like a balcony but...I know). We've never been on a cruise before.

Any advice??????

Thanks

Marcellinasfigaro

Well, if you have air and hotel booked and you stay with this one, and you don't get on, you lose the money on both. unless you fly up and stay in the hotel foe extra days if they are available, instead of a cruise. While waiting, I would call yout TA or go online and see if any other ships, on any line, are leaving from the same destination on the same dates, that still have available cabins, and change ships. That way you don't lose anything. Ships are filling up much faster now, and you have to book earlier to get what you want. That will work better for you next time. We always book at least a year in advance.

Thanks for the reply!

Yea, this is THE only ship, time, etc. that will work for us. Plane tickets are included in price IF we get on. I'm sick, mad, and embarased about the whole thing (at myself). My girlfriend is EXTREMELY organized and has planned many long and complicated vacations for us. This was my responsiblity and I had started looking at this clear back in Feb. then got distracted and by the time I got back to it in April or May, it was sold out.

I guess one of the biggest things at least for me is the inside cabin thing. Although I've never been on a cruise ship, I think I would really like to have the option of sitting out on the balcony and the scenery and don't mind spending the extra money.

Don't really understand this whole standby thing. What would be the chances if we did get on with an inside cabin of upgrading once we got on??

My theory is that we are on standby for "any room" and if someone is on standby for a balcony only, they're not going to move me up to a balcony when they already have me on board and risk loosing him because he'll only take a balcony.

Any other insights??

You may get better answers tomorrow when more people are on here, but if you really wouldn't want an inside, I would buy flowers and admit you made a mistake. Pick another time, as soon as you can, and get the itinerary and balcony, and catagory, you will be happy with. And when you do cruise, a nice piece of jewelry for her wouldn't hurt!!! :) Wait a couple of days though, others may have better answers for you. I hope I am wrong, and you can salvage this. Good luck!!!

Standby is exactly that, standing by hoping for a cancellation.

If you are 14, you are in a so-so spot, August 9th is only 4 weeks away, meaning everyone who has booked has fully paid and is in 100% penalty for cancellation unless insured. So... no one who has a say in it will be cancelling.

Sun is a "Sun" class and as such fully booked cruises about 2000 pax or 950+/- cabins. You need 7 of them to come loose between now and then to get on board.

I wouldn't spend much time thinking about upgrading to a balcony once aboard, unless you get it to start with you won't get it, Sold out means sold out.

I would say this your chances are 50% or less, if you don't have any penalty for waiting and hoping, continue to do so.

If you are actually #2, you stand a very decent chance so first things first, get that straightened out, which are you? Be prepared to change plans if you aren't at 5 or less with 2 weeks to go until sailing.

I hope you get on, there is a decent chance but nothing I would buy non-refundable air hoping for.

I'm not sure the odds are even that good. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Alaska cruises sell out early and always at higher prices than most other destinations for the midsummer cruises. Cruising in Alaska is not done on a whim as can be done in many other locales. I would definitely have a Plan B in place. Good luck!

Apologize to your girlfriend and forget about Alaska this year. Explain to her that you had no idea that ships would book so fast and far in advance. Tell her you know that you'd both enjoy a balcony much more than an inside, which will probably not be possible this year anyway, and that you will NOW book the cruise for next year. Put you deposit down and know you will be doing exactly what you want next year.

Archived