Waipi'o Valley / Mauna Kea Drive info please?

david2673

Hello,

I am looking for any info from anyone who has done either the Waipi'o Valley Beach drive and/or the Muana Kea Observatory drive. I am thinking of doing both in one day. Leaving from Hilo, is this possible? Any estimates of how long that may take?

Thanks for you help.

David

I cannot recommend that you do both on the same day.

First of all, you need to spend at least 1 hour at the Mauna Kea visitor's center to acclimate before you head up to the summit. Second, the drive across Saddle Rd. and up to the visitor's center takes about an hour. Third, you must (must, not should) have a 4-wheel drive vehicle to go from the visitor's center to the summit, which takes at least 1/2 hour. (Parts of the road are barely graded gravel that shifts all the time. It is steep and narrow. This is the road used by the astronomers, and 2-wheel drive vehicles not only aren't safe on it, but make its condition even worse.) Fourth, you should not even attempt this drive unless you are an experienced driver who can handle difficult (not impossible) roads. Just to get up to and back from the summit will be more than 4 hours. And why go if you're not going to spend some time there?

Also keep in mind that pregnant women, children under 16, and anyone with respiratory problems may not go the summit. If you scuba, you cannot plan a dive 24 hours before or after (I think 24 hours, it could be longer). It takes a good 30 minutes once you get to the summit to get your "altitude" legs. While there, you will need to be aware of how you feel (even very healthy people can get altitude sickness) and move carefully and slower than usual.

The only telescope that has a visitor's viewing gallery is the Keck. You don't go into any of the telescopes unless you go up with the UH weekend tours. They go into the Keck viewing gallery, their own telescope, and sometimes one other (based on scheduling and maintenance). With UH, you are required to have your own (personal or rental) 4-w/d vehicle. (Harper's is the only rental company on the BI that allows their 4-w/d vehicles to go up to the summit. And their rental prices are not cheap. Also just an FYI, all visitors on all days must leave the summit by sundown.) There is no fuel available, so make sure you have plenty because altitude really lowers the mpg.

Don't forget that it is cold at the summit year round, so you will need closed-toe shoes, socks, long pants, jacket, and even a hat and/or gloves. We were there in June and didn't need hat or gloves, but sure needed those long pants and jackets. Remember that this is one place in Hawaii where you get snow--and sometimes lots of it.

Now, you may be thinking that I'm trying to discourage you. I am absolutely not. DH and I did this with the UH weekend tour last summer. It was the most incredible, awe insipiring, breath-taking, amazing experience. In fact, words can't really do it justice. If you do decide to go to the summit, make it your day--basically your whole day. Go early and if you have time in the afternoon when you get back down to Hilo, then you can enjoy some of the other sights. There are some lovely waterfalls and a botanical garden not far from Hilo. (In fact, I think Rainbow Falls is right on the way back off of 200.)

The trip to the summit (almost 14,000 ft!) should only be made by those who are truly interested in it. It's not like making a little drive for a bit of viewing. It's definitely a committment of time, energy, and money. However, for those who choose it, it can be a once in a lifetime and unforgettable experience. (Hopefully, DH and I will be able to make it "twice in a lifetime" next year.)

Whatever you decide, have a lovely time.

beachchick

Archived