Cruise newbie w/ 4Yr Old need advice pls

hondocruiser

We are taking our first vacation in 10 years and first ever cruise this Sunday. I've reserved an Avis car (pick up at Marriott Courtyard 7MB) and would like to take my son to a nice beach. I've been reading the posts and I think Rum Point might be a good destination w/ 4 yr old boy. Anyone agree/disagree with this thinking? Have a better suggestion? Just want a nice relaxing family time away from the "frantic & crowded sounding" 7 mile beach scene. Thanks!!!

Rum Point is a nice place. The day we were there, it was packed. However, if you head there first thing, hopefully, it won't be as crowded (we arrived around 1:00).

The great thing about Grand Cayman is you can go anywhere on the island and be safe (use the usual precautions you'd use anywhere). There are so many pretty spots along the way to Rum Point, that you could just pull off the side of the road and enjoy the beach.

If you are looking for relaxing, that's the direction to head. We were at the turtle farm one day, and the place was just packed. We ended up leaving almost as soon as we arrived. With 4-9 ships in port, it's nice to be able to get away from the really crowded area...which is 7MB, Hell, and the turtle farm.

We loved the East End, Bodden Town and everything over on that side of the island. We drove by a Hurley's grocery store over that way. It's near one of the bigger roundabouts and I believe the complex was yellow. It's easy to drive around on the island since there aren't that many roads.

While you are over on that side of the island, you should stop at the blow holes. There's also a really nice shop that has a lot of local artwork. It's about a mile out of town (the oposite direction of 7MB) and on your left. Here's their website in case you are intersted. We found a lot of things there that we'd not seen anywhere else on the island.

http://www.pureart.ky/

thank you twinkletoes4445! Great info. We don't want to be in the crowd - if we can help it! We arrive in port at 7:00 a.m. and I have the car reserved for 9:00 pick and we will probably head straight to Rum Point, then do a little sight-seeing on the way back. Thanks again, we are all very excited!

There's an area just past Rum Point that has a lot of starfish. Your little one might like looking at these...but I don't remember the exact location. Maybe someone will come along and tell you exactly where this is.

We loved that side of the island...so much more "islandy" than the 7MB stretch. If you see something interesting, just pull over and take a look. That's what we did. The botanical park is also over that direction-it's on Frank's Sound Road-which is the cut-through to Rum Point. You have to be careful or you'll miss Frank Sound Rd...there's not a stop light, just a stop sign on Frank Sound Road, not the road you will be on (I can't think of the name of it, but it's the main road that leaves GC). If you get to Half Moon Bay or East End, you've gone too far. The week we were there, there was a truck that was stuck in the mud on the side of the road, so it was easy for us to spot...but from what Drew has said, it's gone now.

Have a good time! :)

Archived