St. John's Beach Tour/Trunk Bay Snorkel

We booked this through the cruise line. I'm aware you can do it on your own, but we've never been there before and didn't want to worry about connections.

The boat picked us up at the St. Thomas dock, and we had a nice guided tour of the islands and the St. Thomas coastline. Saw homes belonging to Madonna, Michael Jordan & Tim Duncan. In St. John's there are open-air shuttles waiting for you. The driver stops at some very scenic overlooks for photo ops and to tell you what you're looking at. At Trunk Bay you get a quick lesson about the gear, and you're off.

We heard that this was the best snorkeling in the Eastern Caribbean, and I'd believe it. The water was great and the beach was not crowded. It was very safe to leave your beach bag unattended, but they have lockers if you'd like to use one. There is an underwater trail to follow, marked by buoys on the surface and plaques under the water. We saw lots of fish of all sizes, and even one ray. I forgot dog biscuits to feed the fish so I brought rolls from the ship's buffet. They hit it like there was no tomorrow and I got some awesome pictures. The coolest part was the coral. This is a US National Park so the area is protected. We saw some amazing coral of several varieties. We washed the sand off our feet before returning, and there are also showers you can use.

Our only complaint was we would have liked more time in the water, but the ship didn't dock in St. Thomas until 1:00 and the National Park closes at 4:30. The beauty of this beach more than made up for that.

Steve in Omaha

Archived