Anyone been there,done that?

Narita

My husband and i are considering a central america cruise February 25 Miami to Miami 14 days or February 13 Mostly virgin Island stops-Miami to Miami. Most of the stops are new to us on both cruises. Still I hear rumors of not liking this island or stop (cosumel, Porto Limon, Belize city) and others say several stops on the othr are not good. How does one decide?

We are booked on the 2/25 Regatta 14 days. We usually do a Caribbean cruise in February (at least for the last 7 years!!), and have been in almost all the stops in the Caribbean. We like to go just to get somewhere warm in the middle of winter - kind of breaks it up nicely.

However, this itinerary was particularly appealing as there were some stops that we have not made as yet (Belize, Santo Tomas, Roatan, San Andreas) although we have been (several times) to the Panama Canal, Cozumel, Puerto Limon, Playa Del Carmen, and Grand Cayman.

Last year we were on the 12 day Regatta, which was mostly in the Eastern Caribbean.

We always arrange our own things to do on shore (at least I'm the one that gets the job of planning for the group!!), and there are so many things to do. However, some days it's just fun to stay onboard and enjoy the half-empty ship!!

Don't know if this is helpful to you or not, but I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Hi Timbo,

Since you usually do a winter cruise around February, you should try the Buenos Aires to Santiago cruise in 2008. It's summer in South America then. We've done a Buenos Aires to Buenos Aires cruise -- stopping in Rio and went to the Iguazu Falls by air for two days at the end. We also cruised Santiago to Buenos Aires in February 2004. Great scenery and fun!!!

Sheila

Thanks for the help Timbo--Youre right, so if the port is not that appealing--stay aboard and enjoy the ships ammenities. I do like a stop in Honduras,

guatamala, Columbia, Belize--all new to me, so guess Ill give it a go and return early if its not my cup of tea. See you then.

We were also on the Regatta for a 12 day cruise in Feb. 2005. Eastern route. We really like the Regatta as opposed to something bigger. Although I just booked the Emerald Princess for Nov. 2007 just because it's similar to Celebrity's Summit of a few years ago. (10 day)

Never been to Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, "The Canal", or Columbia. I did hear that the stop in San Andres, Columbia is not taking place though...............Maybe a substitute stop will be added.

Anyway we are looking forward to this cruise. Two other couples are meeting us on board from other cruise's. One will be doing the Regatta for the 29 day South America in November./December, and the other is doing an Oceania cruise in the Med. next month. Lot's of good story's I hope.

Looking forward to meeting...................baffles:D

Hi Tim,

Great plan!!! We did the cruise in February 2004 on the Infinity and I was a bit worried about it. We had just seen a movie which took place in the 18th century and the wooden ships were capsizing as they went around Cape Horn. We had the best weather in over 35 years and everyone was calling Drake's Passage "Drake's Lake"!

Sheila

I wouldn't let the threat of heavy seas scare you off Cape Horn.

We did it last Mar on Regal Princess, Buenos Aires to Valparaiso, and there was only a little chop 'round the Horn.

Somewhat of a disappointment - we were hoping for heavy seas to show sis-in-law what sailing is really about!

Narita - I didn't mean to hijack this thread - sorry!!! Sometimes these things just happen....

I hope you had your questions answered - I'd be glad to share any info I can with you about specific ports in the Caribbean - just ask!!!

As for those kind folks encouraging me to go "round the Horn" - I'd love to - and we'll probably do it in early '08!!

Archived