Court Documents??????

We will be on Mariner in just over two weeks and my son is bringing a friend. I will be bringing the notarized "permission form" signed by the boy's parent permitting us to travel with him and obtain medical attention if necessary, etc. etc. What's this I keep reading about COURT DOCUMENTS???? What court documents???? Can anyone explain further?

Thanks in advance!

Alma

It is a Power of Attorney, a legal document that is executed by his parents, signed and notarized that will allow you to act on their behalf in the circumstances they outline in the document. Sound like what you are talking about is the same document. Go on line and do a search for more information in legal ease so you will know what to ask his parents to do. If they have an attorney, he will know what is needed and can execute this for them to make sure it is correct. There is nothing that has to go to an actual court for it to be effective. Actually, to take their child out of the country, you probably should have a POA anyway, just to protect yourself and the child in the event of an emergency, especially if the parents are divorced.

I have a letter, which was drawn up by an attorney, and has been notarized etc. I have read that this isn't sufficient in some cases, and "actual court documents" are needed. I've seen this stated in a couple of different threads that I've read over the past few weeks and want to determine if this is something different that what I have. I've checked RC's website and I've read our docs thoroughly and I think I have what we need. I just wanted a bit of clarification on the term "court documents".

Many thanks,

Alma

I can see that happening. I was on the July 7th sailing of the Grandeur, and the waiver I had to sign for my daughter said "Beverage Waiver....Europe." No sign of a waiver for the Caribbean. I also could not sign for my daughter's 18 year old friend, because the agent said I had to be her actual Parent or Guardian. The letter her parents signed and had notarized stated this, but we needed COURT DOCUMENTS!

This was a response on the "New Alcohol Policy" thread. This makes a distinction between the notarized letter and Court Documents. What are the court documents?

Thanks,

Alma

We're sailing out of Vancouver, BC next month, and my youngest is taking a friend. Normally, we would only have to have a notarized letter from her parents giving us permission to take her across the border (along with permission for medical treatment fo course), but because she is in the process of being adopted by her grandparents, it is much more complicated. We actually have to have background checks and have the travel approved by the State of Washington DFS and will carry the documents they issue us also.

No clue. I have used the POA for my mother, of whom I am her guardian, and actually my dog when we are out of town so she can get vet care if needed. I have also had these given to me by my brother for his children, but none of the above were ever court documents. I am assuming you are here in the US, even though you are an englishlady? Hopefully someone out there is cruise critic land has gone though this and will have the real answer for you.

What did RCCL tell you? Never mind, you will get 40 different answers if you call them.

Maybe Escrowgal just answered the question. Could it be they are wanting a certificate from the US Dept. of State? They are the agency who handles international travel issues. Go on line to their site for more information. http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/ I would then call RCCL and ask them if this is what they are requiring - that the documents be authenticated by the Dept. of State for them to be accepted. I would call more than once to see if you end up with the same answer.

We just got off a 7-14-06 cruise and my daughter also braught a friend. All's you need is a notorized letter stating the intinery plan and they he is allowed to go out of the country with you and you are responsible for his actions and medical needs. It is stating that you are acting as his legal guardian while on this trip. Our letter worked out fine, and no one had any questions about it. We had to fax it in early to RCCL too, I guess so that they can approve it. It's very easy, you won't have any problems. Make sure you bring their medical card in case they get sick somewhere too. Enjoy!

FWIW, if it were me, I would call RCL customer service, find a rep who knew about this particular issue, cruising with someone elses child, get that person's name and a fax number, fax them the document that you have, and get them to tell you in writing on RCL letterhead if your document is adequate, and if not, what else you need. Then I'd bring that RCL letter with me to the ship when I checked in. They'd have a hard time telling you that you didn't have the right papers, if you're standing there with a letter from RCL corporate that says you have the right stuff. Just my two cents worth.

To SAIL with a child(under 18) that is not your own, you need a notarized letter from the parents stating they give permission for you to take their child. I think the COURT DOCUMENT thing came in, because people were bringing notarized letters from parents stating that their 18-20 yr olds could drink while they were onboard, even though the parents were not sailing. Court documents would be signed by the court saying you were the legal guardian of that person, which before, would have given the 18-20 yr old permission to drink. Now though, you have to be 21 or older to drink PERIOD.

That was my post.

The court documents I needed were actual "Guardianship Papers," stating that I was my daughter's friend's legal guardian, made that through a court. This is so I could sign the Beverage Waiver. That whole post was in reference to signing the Bevrage waiver, nothing about taking her on the cruise itself.

The notarized letter we had signed from the parents, is needed for all passengers under 21 (per RCCL's policies), is stating that I would be resposnisble for her throughout the cruise, and could make any and all decisions for her. She had no problems getting on the ship with the letter stating temporary guardianship in a notarized letter....I just couldn't sign a Bevrage Waiver with that.

On July 7th, you had to be a parent, or court appointed Legal Guardian to sign the beverage waiver.....thus COURT DOCUMENTS.

Hope that clarifies everything.

Take Care,

Jaime

FWIW, if it were me, I would call RCL customer service, find a rep who knew about this particular issue, cruising with someone elses child, get that person's name and a fax number, fax them the document that you have, and get them to tell you in writing on RCL letterhead if your document is adequate, and if not, what else you need. Then I'd bring that RCL letter with me to the ship when I checked in. They'd have a hard time telling you that you didn't have the right papers, if you're standing there with a letter from RCL corporate that says you have the right stuff. Just my two cents worth.

VERY good advice, thanks!:)

That was my post.

The court documents I needed were actual "Guardianship Papers," stating that I was my daughter's friend's legal guardian, made that through a court. This is so I could sign the Beverage Waiver. That whole post was in reference to signing the Bevrage waiver, nothing about taking her on the cruise itself.

The notarized letter we had signed from the parents, is needed for all passengers under 21 (per RCCL's policies), is stating that I would be resposnisble for her throughout the cruise, and could make any and all decisions for her. She had no problems getting on the ship with the letter stating temporary guardianship in a notarized letter....I just couldn't sign a Bevrage Waiver with that.

On July 7th, you had to be a parent, or court appointed Legal Guardian to sign the beverage waiver.....thus COURT DOCUMENTS.

Hope that clarifies everything.

Take Care,

Jaime

Ah now I get it! Thanks Jaime! The "court docs" are (or should I say WERE) in order for you to have the right to sign the waiver for an under 21 year old. Gotcha!!!! So the letter I have is adequate. We used the same type of letter once before with no problem, but I got worried when I saw mention of "court documents" on some posts! Just me .... confused as usual! Thanks all for your responses, it's much appreciated!

Alma

Ah now I get it! Thanks Jaime! The "court docs" are (or should I say WERE) in order for you to have the right to sign the waiver for an under 21 year old. Gotcha!!!! So the letter I have is adequate. We used the same type of letter once before with no problem, but I got worried when I saw mention of "court documents" on some posts! Just me .... confused as usual! Thanks all for your responses, it's much appreciated!

Alma

After everything I went through on the 7th, just to get my own daughter's waiver signed, I knew the drinking age was changing very soon....that's why I posted as soon as I returned about the changes on the 7th. Plus the fact that the only waiver they had said "Beverage Waiver...EUROPE," when we were heading to the Caribbean, pretty much told me the days of drinking for 18-20 year olds on the Caribbean cruises were numbered.

The drinking age doesn't affect my family any longer....the cruise for my daughter was her high school graduation gift, and the next time she cruises will be her college grad gift (she'll be 22 then), so it's just DH and I cruising alone again, and we're both legal.....well at least most of the time:D :eek: !

Take Care

Jaime

After everything I went through on the 7th, just to get my own daughter's waiver signed, I knew the drinking age was changing very soon....that's why I posted as soon as I returned about the changes on the 7th. Plus the fact that the only waiver they had said "Beverage Waiver...EUROPE," when we were heading to the Caribbean, pretty much told me the days of drinking for 18-20 year olds on the Caribbean cruises were numbered.

The drinking age doesn't affect my family any longer....the cruise for my daughter was her high school graduation gift, and the next time she cruises will be her college grad gift (she'll be 22 then), so it's just DH and I cruising alone again, and we're both legal.....well at least most of the time:D :eek: !

Take Care

Jaime

We're cruiising in 2 weeks. My son is 21 in a couple of months. He is NOT a happy camper today! I think RC should have given at least 3 months notice of this change of policy. But what can you do? Thanks for all your help Jaime!

Archived