Afraid of Deep water

CruiseGal28

I'm curious if you're afraid of deep water, what makes you want to go down there? What is it about deep water that scares you?

Recreational diving has a limit of 130 feet and it's usually done at shallower depths than that, especially on vacations. Given your fear you should probably stay away from wall dives with drop offs. But I have a feeling that if you're brave enough to try diving in the first place, once you get comfortable with it, the deep water probably won't seem so scary.

You can try one of the "Discover Scuba" courses, which usually involves a class, pool session, and a shallow dive of no more than 20'. Full certification courses usually involve 30' and 60' depths. All diving should relate to your comfort level. You have the right to call a dive anytime you feel unsafe in doing something.

Me too, and I dive. I have a mental limit of 20 feet, which my husband laughs at, but we all have our own personal issues.

I will say that once you're over your head you're over your head and that's that. Try snorkeling in deeper water first. It really does wet the appetite to dive.

Archived