Renting a car: Insurance Question

junk121

I will rent from avis but do I need to get the insurance if I am using a credit card? It's only ten bucks more so maybe I should not even worry about it??

Also, this is my first cruise. Am I crazy to try and drive in a foreign country? We are two women.

You'll be fine in Grand Cayman. I'd rent a car and not think twice there. The drivers are polite, and there's so much more to see once you get away from George Town.

As for the insurance, we went on ahead and purchased it. We figured we didn't want the hassles if anything happened (while in a foreign country).

Have a great time. If you have time, you have to stop at Pure Art. It is really a neat shop that features a lot of local artists work. It's about a mile out of town, on your left (heading the oposite direction of 7MB).

http://www.pureart.ky/

We, too, are renting a car from Avis. How does the gas work? Are we responsible for refueling? Is it easy to find a gas station? Thanks for any advice.

There are gas stations all over the island, so you should have no problem finding one. A couple of them had attendants, so they pumped the gas. We gave them a couple of bucks as a tip. I'm not sure if this is necessary, but they seemed happy with it.

When you pick up your car, I'd ask them where the clostest gas station is.

Enjoy your day on the island. It's so much fun to venture over to the East End. It is so different from the "touristy" port area. People aren't in a rush...and it's awesome. If traffic is clogged, someone will always let you in. They honk to show their appreation (when you let them in). Sometimes they also wave. We were there for a week, and I don't think there's a road we didn't drive down. We went everywhere. :)

Thank you so much for your advice. You are so helpful. I love Grand Cayman, so I am looking forward to exploring the island at my own pace. Now, I know that I have nothing to worry about. Thanks again!

Archived